Prologue

A year and a half ago.

Theodore Nott watched with a heavy heart as his twin sister, Scarlet Nott, stuffed her bags full of all her clothes and belongings while Professor Snape stood in her doorway, waiting for her to be done. An impatient man he was.

An hour ago, Headmaster Dumbledore informed the twins that Scarlet was to be sent to Durmstrang Institute and wasn't allowed to return to Hogwarts until she had proven herself because, apparently, someone had informed the professors that she was practicing Dark Magic—Similar dark magic that related to the Dark Lord.

But both the twins knew that was a lie and she wasn't, in fact, doing that. They both had a gut feeling that someone wanted her gone after she started rising in the ranks as the best fighter and street racer known to Hogwarts.

"This is bullshit!" Theo shouted angrily as he snatched Scarlet's bag out of her hand, stopping her from packing. "My sister hasn't done anything wrong! Someone is framing her!"

"Watch your language, Mr. Nott," Snape said lowly as he stared at the frustrated boy. "This decision is final and not my own to make."

Scarlet scoffed and took back her bag. "There's no point, Theo." She turned her back to him and finished packing her bag. "They made up their mind about me the second I started at this shit school. They made up their minds about us the second they heard our last names."

"Language Miss. Nott," Professor Snape warned the young girl as Theo picked up one of her bags.

"Oh, shut up," Scarlet snapped as she glared at her once professor. "I don't have to follow these fucking rules anymore." And like a viper, her words were coated in venom.

Theo smirked at his younger twin as she pulled her jet-black hair out of its ponytail. "I'm gonna miss that attitude." And he wasn't lying. This would be their first time not living together since birth and he wasn't thrilled about it one bit.

"Don't worry," Scarlet laughed as she threw one of her bags over her shoulder. "I'll make sure there's an attitude in my letters to you."

Professor Snape cleared his throat, stepping back into the hallway. "You won't be allowed to send him letters, or anyone from Hogwarts, for that matter."

"What?" The twins exclaimed at the same time, their hearts pounding in their chests. It was one thing to separate them...But to stop them from talking to each other? Now that was cruel.

"That's bullshit. She's my sister and has a right to talk to me," Theo protested, his knuckles turning white.

"Once again, it is not my decision," Professor Snape said and then looked at Scarlet. "It's time to leave."

Scarlet's heart sank as she looked at her brother's face, seeing the worry and pain coating his eyes as he looked down at her. The two of them had always had each other. They had been through everything together: their mother's passing, teaching each other how to ride a bike, starting Hogwarts together in the same house, and even teaching each other how to start street racing and street fighting. Everything in life, they had always done together.

"Stay safe," Theo said gently as he hugged her with love. "No boyfriends. Please, do not get a boyfriend."

Scarlet laughed and hugged her brother back. "That means no girlfriends for you."

"Wait a second there," Theo said as he pulled away with raised brows. "That seems crazy."

Scarlet raised her brows at him before punching him in the arm. "Now you know how I feel."

"We need to go," Professor Snape interrupted, earning a glare from the twins that had sent many others running in the past.

"I'll stay safe, and I hope you keep my title and reputation spotless until I return," Scarlet quietly said as she looked back at her brother.

He smiled down at her while walking toward her door. "No one can take your title away from you."

Scarlet smiled to herself as she followed after him and Professor Snape, knowing that he was right and no one could ever take her title, because Scarlet Nott was Hogwarts Queen of street racing and fighting. A title she poured her blood and sweat into, literally.

"Where are the boys?" Scarlet asked as she walked into the common room, looking around for Enzo, Blaise, Draco, and Mattheo.

"I don't know," Theo admitted sadly, knowing that his sister wanted to see them one last time before she left.

Scarlet shook her head and gave a fake smile to Theo, not wanting him to worry about her any more than he already was. "Doesn't matter. I'll see them again one day."