Gotta Get Out

"I'm gunna pop some tags only got twenty dollars in my pocket. I-i-i'm huntin' lookin' for a come up. This is fu-u-u-u-u-udge? Hi Mom!"

Yeah, there goes my great mood.

"What do you think you're doing there, missy?" she glared.

"Um...singing?"

"That revolting song is NOT allowed under my roof young lady. You know that. Go up to your room and stay there until I call you down for supper."

"B-but it's only 8 in the morning?! How will i survive without food for so looonnngg," I exclaimed.

"You will find a way. Be glad I'm not punishing you for swearing."

"I didn't say anything!"

"Almost. You almost did and that is close enough. Where's your phone?" No! No no no.

"Um...u-upst-stairs?" Dang it, stupid!

"Yeah, right. Hand it over. Maybe this will teach you to stop mouthing off."

I reach into my pocket and take out the only item I have that connects me with the outside world. Goodbye, my sweet. Please, come back soon! Tear...

Mom rips it out of my clenched fist and points upstairs. I hang my head and slowly make my way up to my small attic room.

All I want to do is go out for fun, but no. Why does that woman have to rule my life? She's not even my real mom!

Clink, clink, clink

Oh my Gosh! I completely forgot!

Tut-tut-tah tah-tah.

"Houdini! I have been looking for you for forever you ungrateful little hamster!"

Tuh-tah-tut

"Oh hush up now."

Houdini is the best little hamster in the world. I got him on my birthday about four years ago. We have had lots of fun times together since then. For example:

*Flashback*

"Clean that up. Now. Then go get the vacuum out of the cupboard there and vacuum the couch and stairs. Hand me that glass over there. No, not that one! Get back to work you worthless piece of crap! Gah, you can't do anything right. See what you did? Clean that glass up now. What a mess. You are lucky none of that landed on my apron. Your father will be home soon and he'll be expecting a homemade dinner. What are you waiting for? Nemo to be found? Ha! Make that supper already...not that much you stupid! Now, that your done with that grab some of that flour there and throw it on my apron. Enough, enough. Jeez, I want to look like I baked something not massacred the gingerbread man. Alright, you are dismissed to your bedroom. If I hear one peep out of you about this to your father, you will deeply regret it. Understand? Good, now go."

How was I supposed to understand that?

I trudged up the stairs and almost stepped on Houdini who was waiting patiently for me at the top of the stairs. I trained him well.

Speaking of training...an idea popped in my head.

"Houdini, I hope you won't be too mad at me," I whispered as I snuck back down the stairs with him in hand. I placed Houdini in the centerpiece of the table and snuck out of the kitchen. I waited at the bottom of the stairs for a scream. After patiently waiting, I was rewarded along with a hysterical show from my mother.

"Mouse!" she shrieked.

She was perched on top of a chair jumping up and down with her face screwed up in terror, but no sound was coming from her gaping mouth. I bit my lip trying to prevent myself from laughing too hard. I snuck into the kitchen again since my mom had turned around and was rocking herself back and forth on the chair. Obviously trying to rid herself of the image of Houdini on her table. Quickly, I grabbed Houdini and ran up the stairs to my room again. Trying in vain to hold in my laughter.

"Ah, that was to good!"

Houdini just crawled out of my hand and over to his food dish. With Houdini safely stuffing nuts and seeds into his cheeks, I went back downstairs.

"Mother, what's wrong?" I asked with a hidden smirk.

"There was a MOUSE! I could have DIED! Where were you? Huh? Find it!"

I looked down and got on my hands and knees even though I knew her 'mouse' was still up in my room chowing down on sunflower seeds, honey nuts, and the occasional celery stick.

"Have you found it yet?"

"Maybe you scared it off with your screeching," I whispered under my breath.

End Flashback

Fun times, fun times...