Coffee Break (Naegiri)

-Click-  -Click-  -Click- 

     The cold sharp sounds of her heels clicked on the marble flooring. She was holding a buttered croissant in a small paper bag in one hand and a drink carrier with two coffees in the other. Kyoko Kirigiri was bringing a snack to her best friend or as her friend Asahina would say "her oh-so-obvious crush." 

     She tried to brush those thoughts out of her head and stepped into the elaborate elevator. She was about to press the button for floor 2 when she heard a cry. 

     "HEY KYOKO!!" said a voice from outside of the elevator. Kyoko looked up from her phone and saw Asahina running toward her trying to use the elevator. Sighing, Kyoko put her hand on the 'open door' to let her friend in. 

     "Ooo! Those look scrumptious!" The bright cheery girl says pointing to the pastry and the coffee. "Who are they for?" Aoi gives an all-knowing look at Kyoko while nudging her in the arm.

     "I thought it would be adequate to bring Naegi a snack for his lunch break," Kyoko says trying to hide the blush in her face. 

     "Ughhh. When are you going to confess? It's so obvious you guys like each other!" 

     "Ashania I told you, I don't like Naegi in that way." Kyoko twirled a strand of her hair with her glove.

     "Then why are you blushing?" Suddenly they were interpreted by the automatic 'ding' of the elevator. Kyoko stepped out of the elevator with food in hand not even bothering to say goodbye to her dear friend. Returned the sound of light chatter and the clicking of the heel of her boot till she reached a certain door.

     'MAKOTO NAEGI' read the plate of the door.

     Kyoko pushed the door open to see the brown-haired boy happily chattering on the phone with someone. The room was cluttered, the walls filled with pictures of him and his sister, their fellow workmates, Kyoko and Makoto at her 25th birthday, and Makoto's pet cat Munchie. Papers were scattered all over his desk and the cord of his work phone looked like it was about to snap due to him stretching it out so much. 

     "-Komura I got to go." Oh so he was chatting with his sister, Kyoko made a note of it in the back of her mind. She waved the pastry wrapped in the brown paper bag at Makoto.

     "-yeah Kyoko got me a snack," The boy said with light pink blush dusted on his face. This sweet moment was quickly ruined by him almost jumping out of his seat in embarrassment at his sister's next words. "NO, IT'S NOT LIKE THAT!" His face quickly got heated up into a bright red. 

     "We are NOT dating." Makoto hung up on his sister and slammed the work phone back in it's place his face beet red. 'Ah, that's what his sister was talking about' Kyoko thought to herself. 

     A teasing smirk appeared on Kyoko's face as she set down the pastry and his coffee. "What was that about?" 

     Makoto took a long sip of his coffee, "Thanks! I need that coffee badly!" Kyoko examined his face. There were some light bags under his eyes that only someone as observant as the detective could spot.

"Did you stay up late playing video games?" Kyoko unwrapped the croissant and took a bite of it. 

Makoto laughed. His laugh was like music to the lavender-haired detective. "Guilty as charged!" Raising his hands up in the air. The girl then lightly punched him on the arm in a playful manner. "C'mon Kyoko I had to place all the paths on my island!" Of course, the boy was playing animal crossing. 

"I don't get the appeal of that game." She sipped her black coffee. Makoto playfully gasped in shock like she had told him the world was ending.

"You have to play! I'll have to buy you a Nintendo for your birthday or maybe you could borrow my sister's-" The boy kept rambling on as the detective sat there with a small smile on her lips enjoying the small moment between the two. . .