Chapter 54: Futile Guerilla Fighting

September 18th

Several miles away from Italica

A LAV-25, transporting a squad of determined US Marines, thundered purposefully across the Appia Highway, trailed by a group of resolute Rose Knights who rode with unwavering resolve on horseback.

"Check out the scene up ahead." the LAV-25 driver remarked, spotting a village emerging on the horizon.

As they neared the village, the scene that unfolded was nothing short of harrowing - houses reduced to ashes, crops obliterated, an entire community eradicated.

"What in Emroy..." A Rose Knight breathed, her fellow knights equally taken aback, their expressions reflecting shared disbelief.

Coming to a halt in front of the village, they were met with an eerie silence.

Dismounting their horses with somber determination, the Rose Knights and Marines disembarked from the LAV-25, facing the heart-wrenching tableau of lifeless bodies strewn across the ground - men, women, and innocent children, all victims of an unimaginable horror.

"Holy shit..." A Marine muttered, his hand instinctively covering his mouth, the sickening sight leaving an indelible mark on their senses.

Stunned and revolted by the brutality before them, they stood rooted, grappling with the enormity of the tragedy.

Amid this heavy silence, a sharp-eyed Rose Knight spotted a cart sneaking away from the village.

"Hey, over there!" the knight called out, hastening toward the retreating cart, her companions and the Marines quick to follow.

"Halt!" A Marine shouted to the cart.

Approaching the cart with cautious urgency, they ordered the occupants to halt, their voices laden with tension.

"State your identities and purpose." commanded one of the knights, her gaze piercing as she assessed the nervous men.

"Uhh... Just merchants passing by... no worries hehe..." stammered one of the men, sweat forming on his brow, his anxiety palpable.