04

Chapter 04 - Ignoring The Flame

HADEN

Faith couldn't be this cruel.

All my life I had searched for the perfect woman to be the Luna of this pack; to stand beside me as we both lead the pack to safety and security against the rogues that threatened to destroy us. All this time, she was on the other side fighting for the ones that wanted to tear my pack apart.

This must be a sick joke.

There was nothing I despised more than rogues yet faith has decided to pair me with one. My eyes were lost in hers and I noticed the realization hitting her as well, confirming that my wolf hadn't been confused and the woman kneeling before me was in fact my mate.

Leaving her gaze, I took in the rest of her and even beneath all the dust and dirt, I couldn't find myself denying how beautiful she was. But Lunas weren't just captivatingly beautiful. They were supposed to be the support system for the Alpha and the pack - the nurturing, loving, and kind-hearted women who put the pack's needs before their own.

Hell, for all I knew she was working with the sadistic bastard who took down my father.

She was the enemy, I had to keep reminding myself. No rogue on earth could be trusted. All they sought out was death and destruction. All they cared about was themselves.

She's our mate, my wolf rebutted.

"Alpha?"

Detaching my fist from her blonde curls, I took a step back and looked up at James who spoke before glancing at Connor who had a look of his own. I didn't look at him long enough to know what it was. Instead, I turned to Jonah and Logan.

"Take her to my office. I would like to speak with this one alone after my run," I ordered and watched them pull her out of the room, my fists clenching at one of the guards who pushed her forward.

"Everyone dismissed," I threw over my shoulder as I walked out the side door and across the patio.

"Alpha," I heard Connor's voice behind me as he tried to catch up with me.

"What is it, Connor?"

"What just happened back there?" he asked as he stopped beside me.

Ignoring him, and ignoring the feeling in my stomach, I kept walking as I said, "What do you mean what just happened? Clearly, she has more information than she's letting on and -"

"Haden," he cut me off, planting himself in my path and looking me dead in the eye, "Is she..."

I deadpanned at him when he trailed off.

"Is she what? A rogue? An enemy of this pack? Someone who could be working with the Rogue King? Yes, yes she is."

I tried to go around him and he pulled me back making me growl loudly.

"Is she your mate?" he had the nerve to ask.

I stared at him, not giving in to the answer. Giving in - speaking those words - would make them true; it would make them a reality. My reality.

In no way, shape, or form could a rogue become the next Luna of this pack. I was known for my hatred of those who wouldn't conform to the true nature of the packs. Rogues were unlawful, wicked, and cruel, serving only one master - themselves.

My fixed reality involved Natalia becoming the next Luna of this pack. She was born to lead and she possessed the necessary skills it took to be an Alpha Female. She would be the one by my side, not some rogue who turned up out of nowhere causing damage and destruction for no reason.