An Unfamiliar Field

all Hua saw was darkness. She felt Senti's presence nearby, but couldn't speak, nor hear.

Suddenly, the darkness evaporated and bright light overcame her vision. Hua blinked rapidly, then felt herself pass out.

+++++

opening her eyes to see the face of a familiar, red eyed, and gray haired girl, Hua immediately sat up.

"Senti? What-?" She said, slightly panicked.

Her 'sister' looked just as confused as she felt.

"I don't know. This is very confusing, even for me. But it looks like we both have-"

She was cut off by the sound of voices coming from nearby.

"Look, theres Wangshu Inn, built in the big tree!" a squeaky voice shouted.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it Paimon." a deeper voice sighed in response.

"HEY! Dont be mean to Paimon, Aether!"

Senti glanced around them, spotting a human nearby. He was accompanied by a small... floating human?

"Shh..." She pressed a finger to Hua's lips, and crouched down in the tall grass "We don't know what happened, so be extra careful if they-"

"AETHER!" the being called 'Paimon' screeched "There's somebody in the grass!"

'Aethers' head shot up, staring straight at the two 'sisters'.

Hua sighed, then her eyes shot wide open. Hanging on her belt was a small, purple stone.

She glanced at Senti, noticing the small red stone in one of her earrings.

What are these? She thought, but was rudely brought back to reality as Aether and Paimon reached them.

"hmm. Paimon, you were incorrect. Theres Two somebodies in the grass." Aether mused, sarcasm lacing his tone.

Paimon huffed.

"Excuse me..." Hua started "But who are you?"

"Us? Well, I'm Aether, a traveler. This is Paimon, my partner." The Human introduced himself "Who might you two be?"

Hua paused "I'm... Fu Hua, or, just Hua. This is my... sister, Senti."

Aether narrowed his eyes, clearly picking up on the hesitation on saying the word 'sister'.

"Hello~" Senti waved at the two, a smile plastered on her face "I'm Senti."

Paimon clapped her small hands together.

"Aether, don't the two of them look like Adepti?"

Adepti? Hua wondered, projecting the thought to the herrscher beside her.

I don't know any more about this than you do, Hua. So stop using our authority. Senti thought back.

"Hmm... they kinda do." Aether murmured "Sorry, but do you happen to know the way to Jueyun Karst, Hua?"

"I'm sorry, I don't."

"Ugh. Back to meaningless searching." Aether grumbled, then jumped as shouts came from the field beyond them.

"We need to find them!" a voice shouted.

"Darn it-" Aether growled "Paimon, Let's go. You guys too, I can't just leave you here."

Aether grabbed Hua's arm, dragging her along with him as he sprinted over to the water. It was shallow enough that they passed through without issue, but it was what came after that worried Hua.

There were small monsters wearing masks on the path. Upon seeing them, Aether drew his sword.

"What are those?" Senti asked them, finally having caught up.

"Hillichurls." Aether answered bluntly. "I need to take them out, so stay ba- Wait, are those Visions?"

He was pointing at the stones Hua had noticed earlier.

"Your twin sisters who also happen to both be vision wielders." Aether looked at the two of them "Thats amazingly suspicious."

Senti scowled "Your the one who's suspicious. Why are we running?"

"A misunderstanding between myself and the Liyue Qixing." Aether answered bluntly "They think I killed their archon, Rex Lapis. Anyways, help me take these guys out. I need to get to Jueyun Karst quickly."

Fu Hua readied herself, noting the fact that Senti hadn't summoned any of her usual weapons.

Smart. She thought at her.

I don't want to make them any more suspicious of us, okay?! Senti shot back.

"You guys dont have weapons?" Aether looked over at them "wow. Take these."

He tossed the two each a basic-looking sword.

"they're silver swords forged by Wagner, Mondstadt's blacksmith. They wont fail you. Now let's go."

Fu Hua rushed at the nearest Hillichurl, surprised to realize there was a new kind of energy coursing through her veins. Tapping into it, a giant phoenix made of electricity formed beside her, raking it's talons through the Hillichurl.

Meanwhile, Senti, having felt something similar, had summoned dozens of burning feathers that she was now hurling at her opponents.

Aether, having taken out the largest Hillichurl, started walking again.

"Come on!" he called to them.

Senti and Hua exchanged suspicious looks, then darted after him with Paimon floating behind them.