52 | tere hawale

Malvika :

Ahmedabad was fresh air.
And I loved it.

I mostly loved everything anyways.

"Mumma! I need some good food!", Vanika said pouting. She wore a pink t shirt with 'Living Life Queen Size' and a blue denims.
"Kiddo we are in a new city.. where will I find food now?", I asked sighing.

We were stepping out of the airport, wondering where we could find a cab.

Just then my gaze fell on a black Volkswagen. It almost felt like I had seen it earlier.
For moments I stared at it, and then the door opened.

A man walked out.

"Mumma! Are you seeing what I am seeing?!", Vanika asked pulling my hand.
"Am I?", I asked softly, almost dazed.

The man was tall, a six feet. He casually removed his sunglasses. He wore a suave blue suit, with that air of arrogance that could bring the whole stock market to his feet. I had seen pictures of him on magazine covers several time, but to see him for real.

Damn, that's next level thrill.

"There's a shop for Chinese food just outside here! Look the ad!", Vanika said.

But my world had numbed.
I could only see the man, Vanraj Singh Rathore, turn his dark brown eyes towards me.

He walked down to me, and I stared at him. Feeling my heart pace strangely today. As if I had known him for years, and yet I was seeing him for the first time. I saw moisture in those proud eyes.

Moisture? Tears?
Why?

Vanraj :

It took the world's efforts to keep myself from hugging her and crying.
A decade of pain, anxiety and loneliness had made the self control part extremely difficult.

Why were we going through this?
What had either of us done to go through this?

"Hello Mister Rathore.", She said finally, pulling me out of my daze.
I immediately looked down, blinking off the tears.

"Yes.. hi.", I said immediately, clearing my throat. I looked up and forced a smile at her.

At my Rose.

"Uff! You two can do this hello hi bye bye later! I am hungry!", I heard.
I looked down to find a girl, ten almost. Looking at both of us with the most annoyed look.
I felt my heart skip a beat.
"Ohho! Vanika now calm down!", Malvika said immediately, trying very hard to sound angry.

I bent before the girl, my own daughter.
Vanika.
She had grown to look so much like her mother. I had never imagined she'd turn out this pretty.
Her eyebrows were furrowed in annoyance.

She pouted irritably.
I slowly turned towards her, and bent down before her.
"Why are you so angry?", I asked, my voice sounded numb.
She looked at me, almost relieved.
"Thank you so much uncle! You are finally giving me some attention! I am dying of hunger and Mumma is not buying me any food-"

I knew Malvika's face flushed deep red.
My lips curved into an automatic smile.

"Vanika, I don't buy you food? Really?", Malvika asked, almost reprimanding.
Vanika placed a hand on the side of her mouth and said in a low voice,
"She's herself on this stupid keto diet and I am having to eat salads. Please save me uncle."

I pursed my lips, trying very hard to not smile.

Both of my girls had turned out to be the Queens of Chaos.

"Let me take you to a good restaurant first then.", I said standing up.
Malvika looked at me awkwardly.
"No no.. thank you. I mean you are not here to pick us-"

"No that is exactly why I am here.", I said, amused.
"Hein? Why? As far as I know my brother hates you.. so..", she asked awkwardly.
"I am also investing in your recent business venture. You probably don't know that yet..", I said as she looked at me, completely confused.

My five year old Mukku era is back.

"Let it be.", I said finally, "First it's time to eat and chill. Okay?", I added, looking at Vanika.
"Yay!", She said raising her hand for a high five.

I gave her the high five as she looked at me highly impressed.

"Please follow me.", I said as Malvika nodded.
She got onto the front seat of the car, right beside me.
Vanika sat on the backseat.

After years.
Almost a lifetime.

I started the car.
She unconsciously placed her hand on mine, on the gear.
I felt a bolt of current through my being. It was like a slight painless shock. The exact same that I had felt when she touched me for the first time.

She looked at me, awkwardly.
And then she removed her hand, fidgeting with her pony tail.

"Thank you Mister Rathore-"

"Vanraj. Please call me Vanraj.", I said softly.
She looked at me for a moment.

"Can I call you Raj? Vanraj is too long.", She said casually.
My heart skipped another beat. I gulped, drawing in a deep breath, trying to keep my bleeding heart in place.

"Please do.", I said as we drove.
"Thank you, Raj.", She said with a smile as she turned the volume of the car's radio higher.

Na hoke bhi, kareeb tu, humesha paas tha
Ke sau janam bhi dekhta mai tera raasta

I glanced at her once.
Her lips spread into a beautiful smile as she sat back. She shut her eyes, drawing in a deep breath.
I glanced at my daughter on my rear view mirror. She sat back on the seat looking out of the window. Drawn into the music, like her mother.

Jo bhi hai, sab mera..
Tere hawale kar diya..
Jism ka har ruaa..
Tere hawale kar diya..

•••

Drop in your views and votes!
❤️