Chapter 1: A year later

Y/n's POV:

A year has passed since my last encounter with Jareth. I know he still keeps an eye on me because a barn owl keeps on following me around. I worked as a waitress at a café in the town I lived in. My mom thought it was good for me since I always read and barely socialized outside of the college I go to. I didn't mind working in it because of how dark and beautiful it was. The day went by like usual in the café. Nice customers come and go and a guy would flirt with me like usual. Always trying to convince me on a date and I'd reject him every time with an excuse. His name was Jack. He was a year older than me. He was six feet tall, black hair curly hair, green eyes, tan skin, had an athletic body. He always wore a black dress up shirt that was always folded on his forearms and dress up pants with nice shoes that matched. He looked like he would be a villain in a movie.

Every girl practically has a crush on him besides me and Sarah. Jack stood beside the table I was cleaning. "So...should I try asking you out today?" He asked me with his usual deep voice. I looked up at him while slightly smiling. "No...I am in love with someone else." I said before turning to the counter of the café and wiping the counters with him still following me. I looked up at him and he had his usual mischievous smirk which I ignored. "The café is closing soon. Do you need anything?" I asked him in a friendly way. "Just your number Y/n." He said with a flirtatious smirk. I looked up at him with amusement. "How cute" I said sarcastically. "But no" I say calmly before pointing him towards the doors of the café. "It was worth a shot" he says as he exits the café with a smile.

I shook my head softly with amusement as he left the café. I returned to cleaning the café tables before hearing a tap on the windows of the café. I look towards the noise and saw the barn owl...or should I say Jareth?. I thought to myself jokingly making myself chuckle softly. I open the café door and see the owl fly in, landing on the counter. I walked towards the owl and gently petted it's head, reminding me of when I was in my senior year when he first visited me. It was giving me nostalgia as I petted him. I fed him a peach as usual before talking to the owl. "You remind me of the goblin king from my dreams. He had always turned into a barn owl that looked exactly like you." I say softly, earning a head tilt from the owl. I grabbed the peach seed from underneath the owl and threw it away in a nearby trash can before letting him out. I locked the door to the café before walking towards my parents home.

I don't have a car because of bad anxiety. It was warm outside today. As I walked I noticed the owl following me still. "Such nice company!" I yelled softly towards the owl and earned a hoot from it as it flew above me. I walked up the steps of my parents house as the owl sat on the tree outside that was in front of my parents house (near the street in the front). I walked inside and closed the door before hearing small footsteps run towards me. "Y/n!" I head Toby yell with happiness as he approached me with a hug. I bent down on eye level with him and gave him a big hug. "I can't believe your four now!" I exclaimed softly as I looked at him with a smile. "Can you give me the hug you usually do!?" He said with a big smile. "Of course I can" I say with a big smile before picking him up in my arms and giving him a big bear hug as I heard him giggle.

"Is Sarah here yet?" I asked him as I put him down onto the floor gently. "Yes, she's in the kitchen helping mom with dinner." Toby said with a smile. "And dad?" I asked softly before he began to gently swing my hands with his small hands. "He's at work but mom says he should be getting out soon. Let's go to the kitchen!" He exclaimed happily before pulling me towards the kitchen with him. As soon as we entered the kitchen, Sarah looks up at me with a happy smile. "Hey Y/n. It's so good to see you again!" Sarah said before giving me a big hug. "It's good to see you too. I'm glad that you're here." I say with a smile before having my mother also greet me with a hug and smile. "Dinners almost ready and your father should be here any minute now." Irene said before continuing to mash the potatoes.