16 - Teɴ Yeαrѕ Too Lαтe

"Did you really just allow that to happen?" I asked more towards myself than Satoru while massaging my temples

"I sensed Kaede around," Satoru replied without sparing a glance. "She won't let things like that happen in the residence."

The kids insisted on going home and staying with Sena to keep her company, so we had to drop them first before buying groceries.

Shion and Seijiro were as energetic as ever, not paying attention to the fact that I almost killed their father's family. I wondered just how desensitized they were to death and all these negative emotions that they didn't seem to care nor ask about it.

Even Satoru finally understood my worries bit by bit. The children were far too pure-looking and smiley to be threatening someone with death and acting on it, but they just did and on his own family.

"Welcome to our house, Papa!" Seijiro slid the wooden door open and pulled Satoru by the hand. "We're a complete family now! We have Mama, Papa, Sena Oba-san, Light-kun, and Shi-chan and me!"

Shion nodded excitedly with twinkling eyes. His weight rocked back and forth on his heels and toes as if he were keeping in his excitement.

"Come...in," I finally invited, giving in to the hopeful stares of my children.

Satoru bent down a little, entering the simple house of classic wooden style. He looked around, scanning the area with an expression I couldn't fully read.

"So... this is where they live?," he asked in awe. He picked up a photo frame and snapped pictures of it, zooming in on the twin's faces with an endearing smile. "Do you still have more photos?"

"Shion hates taking pictures, so most of them are Seijiro's." I painstakingly pulled out some albums Sena compiled from the past year.

Curses, unlike human children, would grow on an unthinkable rate. Months would lead them to age years. That would continue until they reach the peak of their ages and stop.

I came to existence nearly two years ago only, but the children were about the age of seven or eight already. It was worrisome.

Indeed, they were not designed to be with humans. We couldn't even enroll them in proper schools. Luckily, Sena would homeschool the kids and pass on a hundred years' worth of important knowledge instead of forcing them to learn quadratic equations.

"Should I send this to Nanami...?"

"If you want to give the man a heart attack, sure."

Before I realized I should've held my tongue, I found Satoru staring at me questioningly. I shouldn't have assumed we were fine, but sometimes I couldn't help being sarcastic around him.

Maybe it was a conditioned response to his idiocy?

"I-I mean..." Stupid.

"Mama, Papa– fighting?" Of course, Shion would be the first to notice if something was off. I even wondered where he got that trait. He was sometimes too observant yet too blunt for his own good.