Chapter 40

𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚘𝚜𝚝 𝚎𝚡𝚚𝚞𝚒𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚖 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏-𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗.

Two Years Later

Walking out of the operating room, my coworker gave me a playful shove as the other threw their arm around my shoulder

Walking out of the operating room, my coworker gave me a playful shove as the other threw their arm around my shoulder. Looking over at them, I rolled my eyes.

" Have you guys been waiting this entire time? " I asked, and they both nodded as one took a sip from an apple juice we give to mothers after they give birth.

" It's been well over three hours. This is the busiest case today... and didn't I assign both of you to the clinic to cover for me?! " I asked in shock as I had to be pulled out from the clinic to deal with a tough case, and thinking I could rely on Thing 1 and Thing 2, I asked them for help.

" Jacob went over! You know he'd do anything to make you happy. " Emma said suggestively, and I rolled my eyes as I snatched the apple juice from Abbie's hand, causing her to gasp heavily.

" For the last time, Jacob is just a friend, and this, Dr. Scott, is for our mommas who have just given birth. Not for the 2nd year resident who's hiding from the clinic! " I scolded, and they both followed me as I went to our shared office space.

" Teeg's, we just wanted to know if you wanted to get brunch with us. " Emma pouted, and I crossed my arms.

" Is that why you left Jacob to handle all of the patients? To get brunch. "

" We only left him with 2! " Abbie defended, and as if on cue, the door opened, and in walked Jacob, who seemed mildly irritated as he handed Abbie the files and clipboard of all the patients he had seen in the three hours.

" Or 6.. " She whispered the last part, and I shook my head as Jacob sat at my desk and leaned his head back.

" Are you coming, though? " Emma asked, and I sighed as I nodded my head. I could go for some breakfast as I had to skip it and drink coffee in its place. 

" Yeah, I'll come. "

" Thing 1 and Thing 2, you're buying my lunch. " Jacob said as his eyes remained closed, and I giggled softly as Emma scoffed.