Part I

Japan 2020

The streets were busy as I walk. Cars bustling at normal speeds. People walking and talking random things. City lights amplifying the beauty of the night life in modern day Tokyo.

I was walking in the streets about to go home from a tiring walk from school. I am studying medicine at the local university, majoring in herbalism. People would say my choice of majoring a subject is weird. I mean who does herbalism in this modern age anyway? But, there is something about herbs, blending and finding the right medicine from herbs that makes me feel the connection to nature.

It was then I saw a kid. She was a small girl, what shocked me was she was smiling at me. I was confused because nobody was there, I was wondering where her parents is.

"Uh hi? Are you lost?" I asked her. Still she continued smiling not saying a word and looking at me, more like staring at me actually. It was like she was looking straight to my soul. It made me shiver in suspense. "Where are your parents?" I finally asked her.

She then laughed, a laugh that is carefree, a laugh of a normal child. Then she stops laughing and smiled at me again. Suddenly she ran and me being a good citizen followed her. I need to find her parents after I caught up with her.

We took a turn and then we are back in the busy city streets. She was about to cross the road.

"Wait!!" I yelled hoping she would listen to me.

She smiled as she looked at me and crossed the road nevertheless not heeding my warning. I was running after here when I heard a loud honk and see some flashing lights. Then someone said, "Call an ambulance!" That's the last thing I heard after my conciousness faded to black.

~

'Where am I? What happened?'

The first thoughts that came to me when I woke up from this unconcious state.

'I had an accident.'

Those words floated through my head as I remembered what happened.

'Am I dead?'

I tried opening my eyes but no luck. I am still in the darkness, floating. It seems like I am in a state on unconcious conciousness, wherein I am aware of things even though I am asleep.

I tried and tried to open my eyes or feel my body but nothing. I can't feel anything.

I don't know how many hours, days, weeks or maybe even years. I lost the track of time in this endless darkness I am floating in.

'A light!'

There it was, a light, it is beckoning me to come to it and I did. The light was warm, comforting even. It gave me hope in this endless darkness I was stuck in. I just want to embrace it forever.