Prologue

The nine-year-old girl missed her father very much; so much that she was now sitting on her bedroom floor surrounded by candles. She had been working on the spell for weeks now, figuring out how the crystal for astral projection worked, and how she could modify it to work without one and instead use her blood to set the destination. The hard part was now done. She had the spell; she could talk to her dad face-to-face anytime she wished.

The letters and phone calls had become insufficient over the years. So she had turned to the next best thing. She lit the candles with a wave of her hand and the light reflected off of her blue eyes. She closed her eyes and chanted the words of her spell. The magical energy in the room picked up and a small breeze fluttered against her auburn hair.

She opened her eyes and she was no longer in her room. She had done it; she had successfully projected her consciousness across the world. She turned to the only sound in the room, and she came face-to-face with a monster.

"Dad?" she said, unsure if she had done the spell right. This can't be true. This was not her father.

"Get out!" the man bellowed, dropping the still-beating heart in his hand onto the floor, blood and horror splashed across his face, as the owner of the heart crumpled beside him.