Chapter 47: The Lenses of War

September 13th

Saderan POV:

Marais Forest

Janus sat down on a makeshift bed in his Legions camp, deep inside the forest.

The air is heavy with tension, and the sounds of distant battles echo through the trees

Exhausted and wounded, he watches as Aurelia carefully wraps a piece of cloth around his arm, tending to his injuries with a delicate touch.

Janus is grateful for her assistance, but also confused by her actions.

"Where you a conscript?" Janus asks, his voice filled with curiosity and a hint of vulnerability.

Aurelia hesitates for a moment, unsure of whether to reveal the truth or not.

She gazes into Janus' eyes, sensing a deep trust between them.

They are both young, both victims of war.

They have lost friends, homes, and experienced the horrors that come with the conflict.

"I..." Aurelia struggles, torn between honesty and the fear of being judged.

"I was conscripted into the Imperial Army when they were desperate for manpower. I was forcibly sent to the front lines against my will..." she explains, her voice trembling slightly.

But deep down, she knows it's not the whole truth.

In reality, Aurelia had willingly joined the Army in search of recognition.

She desired attention and glory, driven by the loss of her father who had perished when he entered the Gate.

This tragedy had plunged her into a deep depression, fueling her determination to avenge him and restore honor to her family.

Despite her regrets now, she couldn't bring herself to share the truth of her motives with Janus.

She carries the weight of leaving her mother behind, the only family she had, without so much as a goodbye.

"I willingly joined..." Janus reveals, surprising Aurelia with his confession.

It is a revelation that would make anyone feel ashamed.

"I sought honor, glory, and pride for my family. My father was an Imperial soldier who fought decades ago, he would beat me saying that I wasn't worthy of being an Imperial soldiers son. So to make him stop, I joined the Imperial Army, to make my father proud. But my own mother was against it, she pleaded with me not to go. I left without a proper goodbye to them, and I still regret it. I witnessed the horrors that unfolded in Alnus, the Capital, and now here in the Marais Forest..." Janus pours out his heart, baring his soul to Aurelia.