Chapter Eleven: Heart to Heart

Aya and Neera sprinted through the halls, attempting to link up with the rest of the group. As they ran, Aya had to keep hold of Neera's hand. Getting the tar beaten out of her by Neera certainly made her feel weak.But she kept trudging on. When this was over, she was gonna take a nice, long rest. One that she desperately needed.

Neera, despite her own limits being met already, had to keep pushing. She couldn't show weakness. Not in the face of danger, not in the face of Aya. Neera gripped Aya's hand tightly as they rounded a corner.

"Where's everyone else?" Aya asked as they ran, panting with each footfall onto hard metal.

"They should already be at the power core of this ship, I don't know what's taking them so long," Neera responded, ducking into the shadowed corner of a room with Aya as a troop of Brevon Drones marched past. She probably could've taken them, but she was already exhausted. They both were.

"So where are we going?" Aya whispered, leaning against Neera for a moment to catch her breath, and stop herself from falling unconscious.

"Escape pods," Neera said, softly leaning her head against Aya's, "I'm getting you off this ship, and safe from the enemy. Then I'm taking this ship down," Neera explained.

"What? But I can help! I need to help!" Aya argued, "I need to redeem myself! Last time I tried to help I got captured, I got brainwashed, I have to help."

"Exactly! What do you think is going to happen if you help? I can't lose you Aya. I am getting you off this ship, now! That's an order!" Neera raised her voice at Aya. She hated doing so. But sometimes Aya stepped out of line. Neera stood up and grabbed Aya's hands, helping her off the ground.

"...I'm a liability to you, aren't I?!" Aya asked, averting her gaze from Neera.

"Aya..." Neera sighed. She gently placed her hands onto Aya's shoulders, "You are far too important to me. You are not a liability. You're someone I care for. And I just want you to be safe. And you aren't safe here."

"But I want to help," Aya said, looking into Neera's eyes.

"Why do you want to help so badly?" Neer asked, her voice stern, and gruff.

"Because I couldn't help the people I loved," Aya looked down at the floor, her voice getting caught in her throat, "When Brevon first invaded...He...his troops attacked my home...they slaughtered my entire family as I hid under the floorboards of our home. I was so scared. I couldn't do anything. I didn't do anything. I lost everything that day.  I just lay there, curled into a ball, crying as I heard my family scream for help..."

Neera's stern tone and gaze melted instantly. She didn't know this. This was the first time Aya had ever told her, "Aya...I-"

"Please. If you love me, you'll let me help," Aya said, sniffling a little as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"I...I do love you," Neera said. She softly placed her hand against Aya's cheek and rubbed away a few of her tears. Neera leaned down and grabbed onto Aya's laser cannon that she'd left on the floor. She handed it to Aya and smiled at her, "I promise you."

Aya returned the smile, taking the laser cannon in her hand and holstering it onto her back. As Neera turned around, Aya leaned forward and gave her a hug from behind, "Thank you," Aya whispered.

"Oof," Neera grunted softly, but smiled, "You're welcome, you silly, silly girl. Now come on, let's rip this place apart!" Neera shouted. Aya smiled and pulled out of the hug. She grabbed the laser cannon off her back and held it in her hand. Neera grabbed her frost spear, and the two charged off. Neera and Aya turned a corner and ran right into a group of Brevon Drones, their backs turned to the panda women. Aya glanced at Neera. The two had the exact same Idea. Neera grabbed onto Aya's open hand and spun her around, throwing her into the crowd of drones. Aya raised her laser cannon and slammed it into the back of one of the drones. She pulled the trigger of her cannon, firing a charged laser bolt through the drone, piercing multiple drones, and causing a chain reaction, sending most of the drones to the sides. Neera delivered a swift downwards slash to a drone that had been flung her way, slicing the drone's robotic body in half right down the middle.

Aya had been watching, and blushed a little as Neera flipped her hair with her hand, "N-nice job," Aya said, giving Neera an awkward thumbs up and a small smile.

"You too," Neera returned the smile, and grabbed onto Aya's hand, dragging her off. Radio static crackled through Neera's ear as the earpiece she had been wearing crackled to life.

"-eera! Can you hear us?" It was the voice of Torque, "Radio transmissions are having a tough time getting through Brevon's hull, can you hear us?"

"Neera placed two fingers against the ear piece and responded, "Loud and clear sir, what is it?"

"Great! Lilac and the others uh..got into some trouble," Torque said.

"What sort of trouble?" Neera asked, her stern tone from earlier returning.

"Uhm...the "Trying to fight Brevon alone" kinda trouble," Torque said with a nervous laugh.

"Oh, that's just great. Do I have to do everything myself-!?" Neera was shouting, when she was interrupted by Aya, who placed her hand onto Neera's shoulder to try and calm her down. Aya gave Neera a soft smile, trying to reassure her that everything will be fine. Neera took a deep breath, "Okay...transmit the coordinates, we're on our way."