5

∞On these Roads∞

Aradhaya Singh Rajvansh

"Aru, have you gathered everything?" I double-checked the bags once more while Yug Bhai, on the video call, guided me through the items he'd left in his room for me to pack. "Yes, Uncle, count them once. There should be nine bags in total." After ensuring all the luggage was settled in the cars, I glanced back at Yug Bhai still on the video call. "Are you certain it was nine bags?" He gave me a confused look, raising an eyebrow in question.

"Don't confuse me, Bhai! You left behind your two suitcases, and I wonder what you were packing. It's not your wedding, after all, but Shravan Bhai's." He had always been the fashion-conscious one among us. Every time we went somewhere, he always had his luggage excessively packed.

"Aru, it takes more than a few outfits to look this good," he said, rubbing his stubble and flashing his charming smile at me.

"Of course. We'll be leaving in a couple of hours. I need to check if Bhai is ready yet or not. Make sure you keep the room key cards secure with you. I'll call you when we get there." He nodded at my words, and I could see his self-absorbed self admiring his reflection on the screen.

"Bhai!! If you forget, I'll make sure Aridhaan Bhai beats your butt," I teased, pulling him out of his reverie, and he gave me a sulked expression.

"Whatever, just make sure to arrive on time and stop scaring me by mentioning Bhai," he said firmly, growing tired of his whining. I ended the call.

"Driver Uncle, you can leave after lunch with the luggage so you'll arrive before us. All the gifts are in the big suitcases, while Yug Bhai's suitcases are the grey ones. I've labelled them all." Driver Uncle nodded and went to inspect the cars.

The wedding functions were commencing the next morning, and we were supposed to leave for Udaipur yesterday evening. However, since Bhai had to retrieve the contract paper from his lawyer for the new project he planned to sign with Ridhima bhabhi's cousin, I stayed back with him. Knowing him well, I served him lunch on a plate and took it to his study. I knocked on the tempered glass, hearing a firm 'come in' from inside.

"Aru, I was waiting for you." As I walked to the coffee table and served the delicacies on the plate, he walked over to me with some papers in his hand.

"What is it about, Bhai?" I poured him a glass of water, knowing his habit of having one before every meal.

"The idea you proposed about the clothing line, I am signing it with a corporation from Delhi who happens to be Ridhima's cousin." I passed him the glass of water as he took the seat beside me, gulping the water down his throat.

"What are your plans about it?" I mixed some dal with the rice, taking a spoonful to feed him. "I want you to lead it, I feel you are a better fit to lead this project. You can have a read, it's a merger between -" I put a spoonful of rice in his mouth and nodded to the details he provided me with.

"I get you, Bhai, and moreover, I was looking for something to start working on. To be honest, after working all these years, it's getting difficult to stay idle, even for a day more." I ate the morsel he made for me.

"This project is going to commence soon. I suggest if you have a doubt, you should have a look at the company and the project, but if you ask me, I feel it's perfect in every way for you. Just sign the papers whenever you feel like, I'll finalise the deal and arrange a meeting with the project head from their side with you as soon as possible." He fed me while narrating everything about the project.