The Search for Paradise

He didn't look anything like I expected. Rather than the geeky science and math nerd that I imagined I had been chatting with for the last 3 months, I found a handsome 14 year old boy, 5ft 5'', just 2'' taller than me. He had brown eyes full of knowledge, and red hair that just screamed daring. He smiled at me, showing a pearly whites that made melt.

Before i get into all that mushy-gushy stuff, let me tell you how I got here. To a place where I met my future true love. A place where nothing went wrong. I place where I was safe. I place where everything was perfect. Let me tell you about my search for Paradise.

Your version of paradise can be different from mine, yes. You might imagine a relaxing ocean, with tall, shady palm trees, warm sand, a hot sun beating down, and unlimited smoothie drinks. Or it could be a crowded bar full of hot chicks and free beer for you and your buddies. However, those are not my preferred paradises. I prefer a quiet library, with unlimited books, and a peaceful atmosphere, where I can lose myself in another world. Not another soul in sight, just me and my books.

However, that is not the case. I was instead in a crowded school library, with loud and rowdy grade 10s on the computer, while I was trying to write my research paper on the Periodic Table of Elements. I couldn't focus, so I decided to take a break to check my favourite chat site, chatter.com, to see if I could find any new chat buddies on-line. Logging on, I clicked the 'find me a buddy' icon, and I was immediately matched up with a guy named 'sford14'. I introduced myself.

paulaw98: Hey! I'm Pauline, but call me Paula! :)

sford14: Hello Paula! I'm Stephen, but call me Steve! ;)

paulaw98: So, I see you are a fan of grammar, just like me! :D

sford14: Yes, I believe proper spelling and grammar is important, even with on-line chatting! :P

paulaw98: So, are you 14?

sford14: Yes, yes I am! :) You are too then I'm guessing? The 98 in paulaw98 must refer to your birth year; 1998. Therefore, you must be 14!

paulaw98: Wow! You are a smarty pants, aren't you! ;) Where do you live, we could meet up!

sford14: I live in Manhattan. How about you, Paula?

paulaw98: Ohio... that's on the other side of the country! :( I really wanted to meet you!

sford14: It is too bad, I have never met anyone as lovely as you on chatter.com. ;) x

paulaw98: Oh, well back at you, Steve. ;) x

sford14: Well, I have to go now, but I have saved you to my favourites, so that we may chat again another time, Paula. :) xx <3

paulaw98: I shall do the same, Steve. :3 <3 xx

The chat was ended, and I immediately clicked 'add to favourites'. I sighed, logging out of the site and off the computer. I think I'm in love! Steve is so sweet, kind, and smart! I really want to meet him, but I can't travel that far, I'm only 14!

Dawn Schmidt, my best friend, ran up to me, and snapped me out of my thoughts. She panted, catching her breath and fixing her dark blonde hair. Dawn had smokey grey eyes, and was a year older than me, yet she only stood at 5ft 1''. She often day dreamed, and is extremely curious. Yet, she can be quite vain when she's not screaming her head off during thunder and lightning storms.

"Guess what?" she exclaimed, "I just discovered that Bill Bouquet, the host of 107.9, Rose FM, is holding a contest for free trip for two to a surprise location in the US!"

"What's the contest this time? And why do you need me for it?" I sighed, exasperated. She always enters this contest, and ALWAYS loses.

"You have to write an essay paper on the history of America! And I need you to write it because, well, you're super nerdy, and this would be easy for you! Plus, we can go on the trip together when we win!"

"I prefer the term 'well informed' and you mean if we win. I haven't even agreed to write the paper yet."

"Why wouldn't you?" she asked confused.

"I have... other things on mind right now." I said, looking off into the distance with a smile on my face.

"Oh girl, you're hiding something! Spill!" she squealed. I rolled my eyes, and pulled her into the bathroom.

"Well, you know chatter.com, the free on-line chat website?" She nodded. "I met this guy named Steve on there, and... I think... I think I'm in love!"I said happily, blushing.

"Oh! This is amazing! Tell me everything! What's he like?"

"Sweet, kind, smart, charming. 14, male. Full name Stephen."

"What about fears, attributes, looks, height, and even last name? None of that? Girl, you need to meet this boy and find out more!"

"I would love to, but he lives in Manhattan, so I have to stick to chatting. It's no big deal. Anyways, I guess I will write the paper. It would be nice to have something besides homework and chatting to do!"

"You know it's still an essay right?" Dawn said, eyebrows raised.

"Yes, of course! But it's not a school essay, therefore, not homework!" I reasoned, and started walking away to French class.

"It's still work though!" Dawn called after me.

"I don't care, Dawn. I don't care." I said over my shoulder. Nothing could ruin my mood.