This One's For You...

I can feel his arms wrap around me as I start making another coffee. If only he was actually here. If only he was actually mine. 

            I put my head on my hand as I lean on the counter. Today’s been a slow day at work. The only person that’s been here all day to entertain me is Maxine. She’s been having a lot of episodes lately though, and really should talk to someone, besides me, about it. I should take her to see Dr. Maxton, my therapist. Maybe introduce them? I don’t know. She needs help though.

                 I come back to reality to a customer attempting to get my attention.

“Um, excuse me? I’ve been waiting five minutes for my coffee.” She questions.

“Shit,” I mutter under my breath. The coffee’s cold. I have to make a new one.  As I’m making a new coffee for the customer, Karri comes out. I guess Cameron ratted on me.

“What you doing?” she asks.

“Making a new coffee.”

“Why?”

“Cause I messed up on the first one.”

Then the customer decided to cut in.

“She was daydreaming. Can you hurry up? I have an important meeting to attend.”

I finish making the coffee, and hand it to the customer with a free slice of lemon cake to apologize for taking so long to prepare the coffee. The customer practically runs out of the building.

“That’s three times this week, Kat. I think you need to go home early.”

Karri takes out a pad of paper and starts writing down something as I walk to the back to clock out for the day. Obviously, she’s writing me up. I quickly grab all of my stuff, and head to the door as fast as I can to avoid having to talk to Maxine.

“Where are you GOING, Kat? She’s obviously going home. She got in trouble

Her schizophrenia’s acting up again…

“I can’t talk right now, Max, I have somewhere to be.” I answer quickly, and walk out the door.

I struggle to get my keys out of my pocket before I get into my car and head to the Pier.

I didn’t make it very far before traffic caused me to come to a halt. I notice people are getting out of their cars to see what’s causing the hold up. Some people have their hands over their mouths. Something bad has happened.

I try my hardest to not get out of my car to see what’s happened, and just focus on my music.

I hear a knock on my window. It’s a police officer. Her blonde hair’s pulled all the way back, into a tight bun, and her eyes look like they hold things she’s experienced. Things I never want to experience.

“Can I help you, Officer?”

“There’s been an accident right up here, happened moments before you got here. It’s going to be a while before we can move everything.”

“What happened?”

“It’s still under investigation, but we suspect a drunk driver.”

“Is everyone okay?”

“Unfortunately, it’s a fatal accident, which is why it’s going to take a while to move.”

I feel tear come to my eye, and roll down my cheek. I feel my heart beating abnormally fast, and my chest convulsing.

“Is everything alright with you, miss?” Her voice soothing.

I struggle to get a breath out. I’m completely bawling my eyes out. “N-no.”