The Swing

Finn stood up straight and ran over to the door. He picked up the girl standing in the doorway and spun her around.

It’s a little girl. Thank God.

She started laughing and he set her down, holding onto her shoulders.

“Emmy, this is Thea,” he said pointing at me. “Thea, this little bugga,” he started tickling her, “is my sister Emmy.”

I got off the bed and walked over, looking down and holding my hand out.

“Hi there, lovely to meet you Emmy.”

“You too,” she said shaking my hand. “Are you and Finny dating?”

“Uhh–”

Are we? Is this a casual thing for him? Is he my boyfriend? Does he even want to be? I don’t know.

He could feel the awkward tension that was now all over the room.

“Okay, well Emmy,” Finn said, “why don’t you go find Jack and beat him up. He’s long overdue.”

She started giggling and took off down the hall.

Finn reached out his hand and said, “Come on, I want to show you something.”

I took his hand and we walked out the door. I would go anywhere with this boy. I had just met him but already I had insane feelings. He made me feel better with just a smile. I could get lost for hours in those green, swirly eyes.

However, I had a feeling this was not reciprocated. He didn’t say anything when Emmy asked if we were dating. Clearly, I was in over my head.

As he proceeded to pull me along down the stairs, I started to worry that more small talk with his friends or family would be included in this little journey.

Fortunately, we turned away from the living room and walked a little farther before getting to the back door. He opened the door and let me walk out. I took the step down and kept walking; this was beautiful.

I stopped and looked around. This was not a normal back yard, it was a Harries back yard. There was a beautiful garden, a set of antique-looking wooden chairs, and a quaint fountain. Flowers were everywhere and there was a large tree in the middle. Connected to one of the large branches was a rope and a tire.

He came up behind me and put his hands on my waist. His touch was electric. He put his lips right up to my ear, which made me weak.

“Wanna swing?” he asked in a sensual whisper.

I didn’t want to risk his hearing my voice break, so I just nodded and tried to say, “Mhm,” with my lips closed.

I had always loved tire swings. There was something about them that made them seem homey, even though I never had one. My parents didn’t think they were all that safe.

He quietly laughed under his breath, but he was so close to me that it rang through my head. A sweet symphony of Finn.

He took my hand and started to sprint towards the swing. I started to step into the tire and managed to get my first leg in. I held the rope as tightly as I could while lifting in my other leg, but my foot slipped on the rubber of the tire and I started to fall back.

A small shriek escaped my lips at the same time two strong arms came up beneath my arm pits and caught me from falling onto the grass.

“Woah,” Finn said, “careful there, love!”

I could tell my cheeks were becoming the color of the pink flowers surrounding us. I wasn’t sure if this was because he called me “love” or embarrassment because I nearly fell on my back in front of him.