Chapter 1

My name is Perseus Jackson. I live in District Four of Panem. The Capitol rules my life.

 I live with my mother in the poor part of the district. She has a low paying job at net weaving store and she works as hard as she can to provide for the two of us. My dad left when I was a baby. My mum has no idea where he went. Just up and left one day mumbling about the oppression of the Capitol to never be seen again. My mother is probably the nicest person ever. Which just proves my theory that the best people have the rottenest luck.

 I threw on my ragged clothes and grabbed my fishing supplies. I often fished after school. I rarely ever got to actually keep the fish, my boss would take it and pay me for how much I caught. I didn't get paid very much, but every penny counts. There was no school today, for today was the day of the Reaping. I walked out of my bedroom to see my mom cooking in our small kitchen. She looked up when she heard me approach. "Good luck out there today, Percy."

 "Thanks, mom." I replied while she slipped some bread into my basket.

 "Have a great day."

 "You too. See you later. Love you." I kissed her on the forehead.

 "I love you too." I headed out the door into the darkness of dawn. It was a bit chilly and there was a slight breeze. I fished for a few hours and then ate my small lunch of yeast less bread and cheese. I changed into some slightly nicer clothes and headed to the town square for the Reaping. I got my blood taken and went into line with all the other sixteen year old boys. They all wanted to be reaped to be a career, no doubt. But I didn't. You see, I hate the Capitol. I don't want to be just another piece in their games. Like Calypso.

 Calypso was my girlfriend. We were always in the same level of school together, but we didn't really talk until we were about thirteen. We fell in love. We were dating for two years until she got reaped in last year's games. The boy who got reaped wouldn't let me volunteer to replace him. She tried to break up with me before she left, but I wouldn't let her. I spent all of the little money I had to sponsor her. I went for days without food. But she still didn't make it. And that's why I hate the Capitol.

 My mother has been the only thing keeping me going these last few years. I had to stay alive to provide for her. I think I'm really the only thing she has and if anything happened to me she would be heartbroken.

 A brightly dressed Capitol lady bounced on the stage and announced herself to be Hera. She gave her usual speech and called a name I didn't recognize. Francine Yare. She looked about a year older than me and was very muscular.

"And now for the boys." I imagined my seven little slips of paper floating around in there. My mother had told me not to sign up for tesserae, but I did anyways. She grabbed a slip theatrically. Unfolded it and read "Perseus Jackson.". I walked up on stage hoping somebody would volunteer. No such luck. I shook hands with Francine. "Happy Hunger Games tributes, and may the odds be ever in your favor."