Rushes

She had a quick wit and a fast tongue. Quite a rude and bitter demeanour. She once stood so high on the edge of the precipice glaring down at the sea so longingly. So sadly. So much so, that she wished for it to claim her. So idyllic, this far fetched dream, she almost willed it to be a reality. It was never said, that beautiful feeling of being taken to another place, until once, she had found a small piece of solstice within the faraway gaze of a strange boy. It was as though a blinding light was flashing down upon the entire world. For a fast, few and strange seconds standing on the highest deck, with a soothing sea breeze, the ocean seemed to disappear and the blue became nothing and upon her delicate cheeks, she felt her blushes.

Blushes of colour which swept across her. All because of him. A beautiful pair of eyes which seemed to be able to see through to her soul in the most extraordinary way. One would deem him rude and uneducated in such ways of staring so openly at a woman but in return, all she could do was watch him back. Perhaps it was because she had felt courageous. Vivacious. Alive. But all in a matter of seconds, the connection was severed by a vicious grasp upon her arm pulling her back to the draining reality of her life.

The life which felt to be one endless parade of one thing and then the next. Every single face, every figure, every snippet of gossip...it all became part of one ever dull party. Oh, how her cheeks should have glowed, and flushed with the happiness of an accepted engagement, some even guessed that it was a love match; an attractive thirty-something man and his young bride-to-be. Instead, she felt like screaming in the middle of these crowded rooms in hopes that just one person raised their head to see her. They never would. Her fiance would compliment her, press his lips to her cheeks and not once did she blush at his efforts. Instead, she cringed.

Adrenaline rushed overcame her. Rushes of something which once upon a stupid evening, she succombed to and wound up at the stern of a ship, romanticising just how fast death would come to claim her if she jumped into the swirling waters of the Atlantic Ocean below her. Something changed then; something which caused her head to whip back when a voice came to change her entire world.

''Don't do it.''

And she didn't. No one had warned her about just what a single smile could do to a woman of her status. He was the light which was a sudden beacon about them in the darkness. When his hand was in hers, guiding her back to the right side of a life which she had chosen to live, adrenaline charged through her and even dangling from a great height as he had saved her life; from drowning in the darkness, from crashing into the unknown, she had been guided by his eyes.

Eyes which seemed to keep her awake that entire night, as she thought past her fiance; willing her to offer her heart to him, to open herself up to him in ways of both mental and physical. Even as he had pressed a priceless diamond to her throat, she failed to feel a single blush, a single rustle within her tummy for anyone other than the boy with the beautiful blue eyes.

''I'm Jack Dawson.''

A simple name, in contrast to her own complicated one.

''Rose DeWitt Bukater.''

''I think I may have to get you to write that one down.''

And she laughed. Truly. It was that very thought which propelled her to find him, the very next morning, with the sun shining as bright as could be. The warmth of it across her face was wonderful. Approaching third class, with as many as a few hundred eyes upon her, she felt her cheeks start to redden, until she laid her eyes upon him and in the crowds of the steerage, she could only focus on him.

He was easy to converse with; a laid back drawl, and a most charming smile. He listened to her, perhaps with a caring ear. He never sought to receive anything in return; perhaps he would have refused twenty dollars which had been the initial going rate to save her life. He didn't, however, dismiss her truly deep thoughts of despair and misery which had led to her decision to run endlessly to the stern. He, did, however, question her motives for marrying a man such as her fiance. And then, she was tongue tied.