1- The Honesty Hangover

Payal

Never be honest with your boss. Never.

Working as a corporate employee means you are expected to work more than work hours, do your projects, prepare your PPTS, practically do everything your client requires you to, and more. Okay, no one does it; none of those guys who are busy chatting with their girlfriends or none of them who are busy sucking up to their department manager.

And if any day, by chance, anyone feels like doing these above-mentioned works, they do it in front of the boss. Now, that's what I call genius.

"Looks like the company is in good shape today." We turned our heads toward the voice in reflex.

We couldn't mistake that voice. That croaky voice was loud enough to grab the attention of the room. He sounded happy. Well, why not when everyone is diligently doing their tasks?

He called out to our department, "Team A will have a company dinner with me today. This one is for your sincerity. Keep up the work. Do your work like it's your last day of life." He kept on blabbering about sincerity and hard work as he walked away.

I wished I could tell him that I wouldn't like to do this work if it was truly my last day. Who would like to spend their last day, sitting in a cubicle with an instant coffee, keeping your Excel sheets open all day? Not me.

Just then, my phone pinged.

Shruti: Payal, did you hear that our batch will be having a reunion?

Reunion? Just the heck.

I have nothing against reunions. It's a good way to reconnect with lost contacts only if someone wants to. Everyone, busy and frustrated with their personal lives, has the least amount of energy and enthusiasm when it comes to meeting up with old friends unless those few who are some kind of a big and rich shot now and they have to brag about their Dior Fall Collection.

I don't blame them though. I would have done the same, only if I had that kind of money. Then, I wouldn't have worked in this shitty company in the first place.

Shruti: I just heard Siddharth is also coming. Do you remember how he proposed to you at the fest? Poor guy got rejected :(

Siddharth... Yes, I remembered him. Now that I think of it, I still don't get why I rejected him in the first place. He was the eye candy to all the girls of the college. And I don't know why his eyes caught me.

I remember myself being popular back in those days. I was neither in the total nerd's group nor the party-goer's group, kinda stuck in the middle, balancing between both. He approached me when I was in my second year and he was in his last year.

He was rich, handsome, and had quite a nice image at college.

All these years later, I am not afraid of admitting that I was foolish because if I was my new self then, I would have definitely said yes, and maybe, I could have had a better life today. Who would believe that in my twenty-six years, I never dated?

Me: I was foolish. Never mind, it's all past now.

I typed back when I received another message.

Shruti: That you were. I heard he is still single. Want me to hook you up? ;)

The first thought that crashed through my brain was- Is it because of me that he is single? Maybe he is still waiting.

"Payal, are you done with your PPT?" The manager glared at me from the corners of his eyes. I slide my phone back inside the desk, going back to typing on the keyboard.