Saturday- A short story-Completed

• Dedicated to Erica K.

 I woke up in the morning and realized that it was 8 o’clock; I was late. I grabbed my clothes and ran for the bathroom rushing to get ready. As I ran down the stairs, eagerly to get food in my stomach I sensed no one’s presents around me which was unusual because my house was usually chaotic and definitely loud. I continued to walk down the stairs till I reached the kitchen and grabbed a jar of Nutella out of the cabinet followed my some bread; which I popped into the toaster. I didn’t notice I was making so much noise until I saw my mom out of the corner of my eye walking out from the backyard. As I waited next to the toaster for the toast I wondered what mom was doing in the garden… She only checks on the garden on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturdays… Wait a minute.

“Err, Mom?” my voice came out somewhat raspy because I haven’t talked all morning, like usual.

“Hmm, yea?” she was really happy for some reason. I mean I’m not complaining but it was just sort of weird.

“Is today Saturday?” if it is Saturday I’m going to really mad. I mean that means I’ve wasted perfect sleeping time, I got up for nothing, and I wasted my energy.

“Yup, it is,” she looked at me with a questioning look before continuing, “and why are you up so early? Usually you’d be awake at 10 or 11 o’clock. All your brothers are still asleep you know.”

“No way.” She just nodded slowly. My voice had no emotion; it was just raw and cold. A very awkward filled silence was broken by the sound of the toaster popping, knocking me out of my thoughts. I grabbed the toast spread the Nutella then ran up stairs to my room knowing it was a Saturday I felt like I should call a bunch of people and ask if they could hang out. My mom had gone back to the garden after the toaster popped; she knew that I hated it when I lost perfect sleeping time. As I opened my room door a few brown burnt crumbs fell from my plate and onto the ground, I shrugged mom would clean it up eventually or she would make me do it. I put the plate down onto my desk causing a few more crumbs to fall. I jumped on to my bed and reached to my night stand to grab my phone which was still on my charger. I looked at it and saw my boy friend had texted me saying he wanted to take me out tonight. I texted him back saying I would be ready at six. I guess I have some time to kill.

Two hours later I found myself looking for something to wear for tonight. I had nothing, and when I mean nothing, I mean nothing. I called my best friend who was amazing with clothes and make up; she was taking a fall course at a beauty school in San Francisco, but was back in town for the weekend. Once she heard of my problem she didn’t need to be told once that there was a fashion crisis in need, she was over within a few minutes because she only lived a few blocks away. Before I could say anything to her she held out a long dress shirt that was a cream color and a pair of teal skinny jeans with gold studs matching the gold studs on the shirt; on top of that there were multiple accessories to choose from, but we would deal with that later. When I saw the brown combat boots she brought for me I knew I had to buy a pair…Maybe I could buy these off of her… My thoughts were interrupted by her telling me to sit down, so she could start her “magic”.

I couldn’t blame her because her “magic” worked; I was staring at myself in the body length mirror and Geez I looked good if I couldn’t help but admire myself. My hair was straightened to perfection, my make up was light and natural, and I had on the outfit; which we paired with a few pearl bracelets. I looked at the time and it was 5:45 already, I guess I should text him. After sending him a text he said he was on his way so I waited on the front porch, while Jasmine finished cleaning up. A few minutes later I saw him pull up on his motor bike; I wasn’t scared I loved the feeling of being on a motor bike I felt free, plus I’ve rode it more than once so I was okay.

***

After the movie we started to head home, but the only bad part was it was raining; no raining was an understatement it was pouring. I heard a muffling noise and turned my head to my boyfriend, who looked like he was trying to talk to me.

“I need you to take my helmet off and put it on yourself,” I took it off him immediately, because he used his strict voice,” now I need you to hug me tightly.” I did this of course but didn’t question it. “Finally I need you to say, you love me.” I didn’t hesitate to say this because we’ve been dating for a year now.

“I love you.” I saw a small smile on him lips form and smiled back, but before I could say anything. Everything went black.

I woke up to a beeping noise and my head pounding. Then everything hit me, Saturday, Jasmine, the date, the crash. I needed to know he was okay. He had to be okay. I need him. I remembered he gave me his helmet. With that I began pouring my eyes out. I couldn’t live without him so the next Saturday I rode his bike and repeated that night in my head and without hesitation said, ”I love you.”