Heroine.

Heroine.  Now, you’re thinking to yourself, “Is that the variation of hero or the drug?” while subconsciously, your brain is looking for context clues as to whether it is either. Well, to put it simply...  It could be both. Now, you’re wondering how and why. You’re just going to have to read on to find out, now won’t you? That’s mostly how it works. A writer works his magic and you get caught and can’t stop reading once you get to the hook; but see, I’m not some lousy writer. I just have a story to tell you and therefore, I am going to tell it. Now, stop for a moment to think. Subliminally, I have attracted you through the fact that I am laying out what you’re doing without you even realizing it, which means: I have made a hook that catches you. Even now, what I am saying in this line, it is part of the differential piece of this introduction that keeps you reading. Still, I am not just a gangly writer. Should I go on and start my story? It’s more of a legend, really, a legend of two. I could go on to say that it is a script of great power, will, faith, and love, but I’m not going to do that because it actually is just that, except that it has more to it. It’s more, well, dynamic, you could say. It’s a tale of pain. Okay, okay, I’m sorry. I will begin. Now, listen as I speak of a life lived and shattered; a heart shared and broken; a future taken and faded; and light shed on a pair of eyes still so young to have yet been shown life’s love and fury. Listen, for this is the story of August and Harlequinn.

            I felt His pain. I felt it. No, I am it. I am His pain. He brought me back, rushing through the generations, the millennia, the memories and the endless amounts of sins and miracles and all that has been between, back to where he stripped himself of divinity to step into our shoes. At first, it was too much. And I hadn’t even seen him.  I just felt him, let him fill me, and siphoned the endless energy, power, and life that he emitted. No, he didn’t emit it. He… IS the power, the life, the energy. He embodied it all. All of a sudden, we stopped. I was Him, He was me; I was looking through his eyes. We were lying down, looking up, and taking in a new world with young eyes, then, His mother’s face. She stared at us with the strength of great love. We smiled, feeling the joy and elation of innocence. We rushed forward again. Standing on a ship, alone, feeling the wind force the sails forward. The Mediterranean, is the name the humans had given this sea. We watched the beauty of the water, the waves, and the intricate folds of the wood. Then it rushed forward again. Standing above a mass of people on a stage of sorts, we raised our arms and gave word and warning; a gospel, a preaching, a song. We felt the life of all the beings around us, we felt the fear, joy, jealousy, mischief; we even felt the pain.  There was more of that than anything else. We felt it well up and push us back with its spiritual mass. Then we saw… HER eyes; the eyes that will forever hold my light. It was a fleeting comfort. Then came the spears, the swords, the threats and the sinisterly people. Not quite sinisterly, we realized, just blinded. Someone has stripped them of their faith.

            We were drug across the ground, stripped of our clothing and burdened with a crown of thorns. The pain was no matter to us. The pain of the betrayal, the pain of the evil, the pain of the dark in these people’s hearts is what affected us. It took a toll like no other. We closed our eyes, only to open them to blood streaming down over our eyes as we were thrown onto a wooden cross lying on the ground. We were held down, even though we hadn’t put up a struggle ever since we had been grabbed. Then, we noticed an overwhelming amount of fear around us and we looked around. People had stepped back and just watched the entire process of our dishonoring and hadn’t a slightest thought of helping. Some pushed forward and attempted to aid me, one of whom was Her, but were refused by the guards; some were killed, but she was fine. We cried, we bled, and we felt the pain of all beings and our own. Nails were driven into our wrists and through our ankles into the cross, which was then hefted up into an erect position. We felt pain, overwhelming pain, sorrow, and then death. We had been killed.  Waking with a jolt, I stumbled back as I gasped for breath. He had consumed me and taken me with him to those memories while I had been standing. It seemed as though no time had passed. He hadn’t taken me out of the realm. He knew I was to handle this myself. Before I had been weak, now He filled me with power and endless possibilities. I looked over at my adversary, the power I now had giving me second-sight to see the evil aura dripping from his “flesh.” He smiled with the essence of death rising from his bowels, up through his throat and encasing him in a resonating coffin of repelling souls. I stepped forward, away from Her body, knowing she was what gave me my strength, and summoned pure light from my hands, thrusting them down and revving the light till it enveloped me and it crackled around me.  I took a step toward him and drew a breath.