In which there is a secretive plot twist and a backstory!

T/W: swearing, self blame, anxiety, homelessness, mentions/implications of: void, attempted suicide, voices, possession, death, neglective parents, single mother

POV: dream (NO NOT THE HOMELESS GREEN BLOB)

I'm cold, so very very cold. There's no wind, no light, no air, just... void. I shiver at the thought of the vast expanse of nothingness all around me. Why am i here? Where is here? Here is the void. Not so surprisingly, void of life, of light, of everything. Vaguely, i wonder how i got here.

Suddenly, someone appears. They aren't very tall, only 5"1', and their short brown hair is streaked with blue. I can't tell their gender, nor do I recognize the stranger. Their eyes are two different colors, the left being emerald green and the right sky blue. They look like a hybrid, with large wings, gold, purple, brown and black in color. The creature has a tail, light grey and darker at the tip, as well as the ears of a black cat atop their head.

When the stranger sees me, they sigh in relief, saying, "Oh thank god, it worked. Listen, when you get to the End, something is going to happen. I don't have much time, but you need to trust yourself. When they come, you will be alone. Don't let the darkness take you, and don't let the light destroy the shadows. You don't have to find the house, the house will always find you." As the creature talks, they start to fade away. "Fuck! They're coming to my side already!" They yell, and just as they are about to disappear, I ask them something.

"What is your name!?" The creature is almost gone now, but they manage to say one word before they disappear.

"Wonderer!" They call, and then they are gone, and I am once again alone in the void.

POV Change: Xisuma

I know i should be sleeping, but I toss and turn in bed anyway. My mind is like a spiderweb, the bugs my thoughts, caught in the web. My subconscious is the spider, picking and choosing the bugs to eat, the most terrifying and confusing thoughts the spider's favorite.

All I can think about is how the others are going to die horrible deaths, and how I'll be to stupid to save them. I can't even understand Grian's apparent personality disorder, let alone how to defeat the most powerful beings in all of existence.

Finally, i fall into a restless sleep, nightmares my only dream.

POV: Xanthus

I can tell that Xisuma can't sleep. Call it a twin sense or Watcher magic, but Xisuma's sleep is more than troubled. I can't sleep either, so I start to think.

Mine and Xisuma's relationship is... complicated. When we were younger, we were best of friends. We did everything together and were inseparable. We slept in the same room, ate on the same side of the table, and played the same games. Even when Xisuma's powers appeared, when we were around five, and mine stayed dormant, we still considered ourselves as equal.

Our parents weren't around much, not because they didn't care, but because they had demanding jobs. My mom was the headmaster of the Admin Academy, which required on campus residence. Unfortunately, the house she was given wasn't big enough for us all, and the rules were much stricter back then.

My dad worked for the Admins as an inter-species and inter-magic representative, translator, and diplomat. If the elves had a problem with the players, he was sent to work out the problem. It helped that he had gifted magic, the ability to talk and understand any language. Verbal, such as English, visual, such as sign language, and even body language.

So me and Xisuma learned to take care of ourselves from a young age. We were often left alone at home, and tended to keep to ourselves. However, one day, our father was tasked with investigating the newly discovered ruins of the server, Evo. There, he was ambushed by a watcher and swiftly killed. His body was recovered by his companion on the mission.

After that, our mom quit her job as headmaster to spend more time with me and Xisuma. The Admins paid us commission for our loss, adding to our already substantial budget. But after only a few months, our mom started making herself scarce.

She wasn't ever around, so Xisuma became like my dad. While he took the neglect as a reason to grow up and succeed, I took it as a sign that I would never amount to anything. I started slacking in class, pushing everyone away, and even tried to burn down the school one night. Fortunately, Xisuma stopped me, thinking that I was doing it as yet another way of seeking attention.

What he didn't know was that the voice inside my head had told- no, ordered me to burn the school. What he didn't understand was that the voice had been telling me to hurt him ever since our dad died. What he still doesn't know is that I had been planning to burn myself with the school, so I wouldn't give in to the voice.

When Xisuma stopped me, the voice was angry. When the voice found out that I had been planning to throw myself in the fire, the voice was furious. The next night, the voice had had enough. It took complete control of my body and teleported me to the Watchers' End. There, it forced my powers to appear. Watcher powers.

After that was the Academy. There I met Grian and Pearl, or rather Xelqua and Ezenta. One night, the three of us plus one of Xelqua's friends, Xurten, tried to escape. We got caught. Ezenta was forced into a mind controlling mask, Xelqua took the blame for Xurten, and me and him were locked up.

We don't like to talk about what they did to us during that time, and most of what we remember is void. But we told each other our backstories, and gained the trust and friendship I lost in Xisuma. Eventually we escaped, and here we are.

POV: Impulse

I don't fully understand what is going on. But what little I do understand is that Zedaph is injured, and Tango and the Prime fucking admins are MIA. I want to sleep until this is all over, and believe that it was all a nightmare, but my normally optimistic self is turning into something more pessimistic.

POV: Hels

...

Him, Bdubs and Wels are the only ones that slept well.

POV: Grian

I wake up to early morning sunlight in my face. I'm about to turn over and go back to bed, when I remember the day before.

Getting out of bed, fully dressed, i pull on my bag, strap my swords to my back, as if I'm using my wings then I can simply teleport them to my hand, and walk out of the tent to eat breakfast.

###

After breakfast, fWhip takes me, Xisuma, Hels, Xanthus, Impulse, Pearl, Jimmy, and Martyn to the end portal. I get a sense of deja vu as the 8 of us stand around the portal, before we all jump in. 

1192 words. I know the order of things doesn't make much sense, but there is a reason for that. But if I tell ya'll it would be a spoiler. 

Oh, also, this chapter is sponsored by my joint pain! Today is the third day in a row that I've gone home from school early. Also, I'm hungry. Ya know the song 'devil town' by Cavetown? Well, introducing: 

I forgot to eat again, I think that's something worth remembering

Anyway, goodbye for now, and good unspecified time of day or night! 

Ps, the video at the top is one of my favorites, so yea. Song is Numb Little Bug by Em Beihold and the video is made by AstroNite13 on YouTube