9

"If you gone war, if you gone war, if you gone war forever;
Might as well go to war together."

—

It was maybe three and a half, four years ago.

The first time Durk got shot.

He can't say he didn't expect it to happen, tensions between OTF and the Gangster Disciples had reached an all-time high, niggas talking - rappin' - about shit, they didn't have any business bringing up. Shots fired just a little too close to loved ones.

One thing that he vividly remembers about that day was how hot it was.

The sun was burning bright in the sky and a dry heat had settled over the entire city.

The result was, of fuckin' course, a heat wave so unbelievably intense it drove everybody indoors - at least anybody who didn't have shit to do that was.

Durk remembers standing in a concrete parking lot somewhere in O-block, the details are a little fuzzy but he distinctly recalls waiting on somebody and being pissed off.

They had just signed a kid onto the label, couldn't have been more than twenty, twenty-one, and his debut album was doing good, really good. Welcome to O' Block made number one on the billboard two-hundred.

The people were demanding a concert and so they were supposed to go over the idea of a performance.

He'd had some other business to take care of and his sister needed a ride over so Durk found himself volunteering to pick the kid up. He'd wanted to meet him officially anyways, Dom and RJ were the ones to scout him out so all Durk did was go over the paperwork with their corporate lawyers.

They'd pulled up a couple of hours ago, India had pressed a kiss to his cheek and disappeared into one of the apartments with a snarky reminder to not forget to pick her up. He'd waved her off with a scowl but watched as she'd vanished up a rickety set of stairs.

He wasn't worried about her, not here, not when anybody with a fuckin' brain knew to not mess with Lil Durk's baby sister. It took a couple of broken bones but thankfully word spreads quick. He was getting tired of fighting, the shit takes too much energy.

It was at least an hour after he'd let the kid know that he was there, the car was off and he was leaning against the side of it, hot as a bitch and sweating like a fuckin' dog.

He'd taken care of his business but after that his car, after thirty minutes of sitting in this fucking heat, had started to blow out hot air instead of the air-con so he was forced to wait outside of the vehicle.

Overheated and irritated, he was contemplating leaving, lecture from Roddy be damned, it was entirely too hot to be waiting on people.

"Ay,"

Turning his head to the side Durk straightened up, attitude all but melting away as he blinked, momentarily surprised.

Nothing about this grown ass man spelled 'kid' to him. He should've known better than to listen to Dom, the nigga thinks anybody younger than him is a child. To his credit though, Davyon Bennett looks a lot...smaller - softer - in pictures.