Chapter 23

Jimin can just barely hear Namjoon's footsteps across the house. He begins to quietly check his half of the house - not that noise matters anymore. Anyone inside will have heard the door break. He tries to steady his breathing as he walks into the first bedroom. He checks the closet and finds nothing suspicious so turns to head to the next room. 

He briefly peeks in the bathroom before heading further down the hall. He can still hear Namjoon so continues his search in the next bedroom. There's nothing behind the bed so he turns toward what he assumes is the closet. The door is closed so he has to briefly lower his gun to open it. When he does, the door bursts open and he's shoved backward by a much taller man with dimly glowing blue eyes. He tries to raise his gun again but the man shoves it out of his hand - leaving him with no weapon. Jimin's eyes widen and his mouth gapes open as he takes in the creature in front of him. Not only do his eyes glow but also tons of tattoos - no symbols - all over his body. 

The man rushes toward him and stretches his hand toward Jimin's cheek. Namjoon's warning sounds in his mind and he quickly backs away, falling back over the old mattress behind him. Will his magic even work on me?  Jimin wonders to himself as he tries to scramble backward on the soft lumpy mattress.The djinn's eyes glow brighter as he again closes the distance between the two. 

"No!" Jimin cries as he knows he's about to be poisoned, or whatever they do, and desperately pushes his arm away. He's not willing to risk the magic working so he quickly shoves his palm into the man's forehead. His eyes and body glow even brighter before he freezes and falls  - dead before he even hit the floor. Jimin luckily catches most of his weight so it's not too loud when he falls.

He freezes as his chest heaves up and down - desperately trying to catch his breath and figure out what to do next.

"Jimin?!" He can hear Namjoon call him and his footsteps quickly coming closer. In a panic, he picks up his gun and shoots the djinn in the forehead. He knows he won't be able to answer the questions that will come if Namjoon finds a dead djinn with no wounds.

"I'm ok," Jimin forces out - just loud enough for Namjoon to hear him from down the hall. He sits back on the bed and assumes the position of a scared kid. Namjoon walks into the room and quickly assesses the situation - djinn on the floor with a giant hole in his head. Jimin sitting on the bed with his head between his knees and clearly struggling to breath.

Namjoon crouches in front of him. "Hey hey - sit up. Your lungs need space to expand so you can breathe. Put your hands on your head to expand your chest."

Jimin nods his head and does as instructed.

"Good Jimin. Slow steady breaths," Namjoon encourages quietly.

A few moments later, Namjoon takes a deep breath. "The second floor still needs to be checked. Are you ok if I go?"

Jimin shakes his head. "I'll come with you. Might be another one."

"Are you sure? They're usually loners. Probably not another one here."

Jimin nods and stands up as he grabs his gun and leads the way. "I'm sure. We need to have each other's back."

Namjoon smiles to himself as he follows Jimin down the hall toward the stairs. The pair moves a little quicker now that the djinn downstairs is dead. They step slowly up the creaky stairs - cursing the old building - just in case another is up there. Namjoon taps Jimin's shoulder and points himself forward - indicating that he wants to take the lead in case there is another. 

Jimin nods and steps to the side to allow him to pass and then the pair continues up the stairs. The landing faces an unfinished wood wall which tells them that this is most likely an attic. Namjoon signals Jimin to turn right out of the stairway as he turns left.

Stepping into the open space of the attic, the inexperienced hunters freeze as shock takes over. The sight in front of them being both terrifying and heartbreaking.

"Yoongi?!"

A/N

Thank you for reading! I'm sorry this update took so long! I've been working 50 or more hours a week for the last few weeks while training new employees. I'm also a mom so after work and mommying (not a word, I know), I've just been too tired and didn't want to put out bad chapters just to put something out. Work is getting back to normal though so I'll be able to read and write again which I'm so looking forward to. I hope you enjoy the story!

Now, way more importantly, D-Day is heerrreeeeee 🥳🥳🥳🥳 It's SO FREAKING GOOD! I literally have a new favorite song every day. Haegum MV is just...I don't have words...amazing. Right now, I THINK Amygdala is my favorite song. It speaks to me on a very personal level and I love vocalist Yoongi. BUT literally each song can be my favorite for different reasons.

Which is your favorite?

I'm leaving for NJ for the tour in a few days and so so excited. Actually decorating army bomb with my daughter right now lol. I can post pictures if anyone is interested?

This note was long af. Sorry about that. I'll keep writing and hopefully you guys will love it. My next story concept is already entered into Wattpad and this isn't anywhere close to done. Oops. 

I hope life is treating you well 💜