13. 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧*𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘢𝘺

Song: Lost Boy by Ruth B.

**

~ Asher Alexander Bernardi ~

I want to tell someone everything that has been weighing me down, cry in their arms, and talk about everything that has happened over the course of the last sixteen years. 

Then I get struck with the painful realization that nobody really cares enough to listen.

What shocked me was the fact Alessandro hugged me instead of hit me, wait no... What shocked me even more was the fact I wanted to hug him.

The fact I felt the safest I ever have — even with Ky who has always been like a brother to me, from the moment we met.

Perhaps I will never fully understand my own body, not that I ever did to begin with.

I guess in the end parents kill more dreams than anybody and as much as I don't fully want to believe my parents left me to fend for myself in the system and keep their real sons but if that's all I have been told for years how am I ever supposed to think differently?

For now that doesn't matter, maybe it's better I never know.

I'm going back to school today and getting out of bed this morning was more painful than it had been since I left Maxwell. I do seem far more sore today which is a bit strange but I'm sure it's fine.

"Asher? Are you dressed?" Alessandro's voice suddenly broke me out of my thoughts before they had the chance to spiral down a path of no return — or maybe I went down that path already, a very long time ago.

"Uh yeah?" I reply — I feel I don't have to say I replied in a soft tone because ya know..... If you aren't Kyan that's all you get from me.

Quiet is safe.

"Good. I knocked a few times but didn't hear a response, I did want to stick around and see you off but unfortunately there was a major work emergency and I needed to head to the wa- office. Salvatore will be bringing you to school, can I see your phone for a moment?"

I simply nod before handing him my phone.

"I'm just putting my number into it, call me if Salvatore pulls any shit like he did yesterday. That was uncalled for, just because he was aggravated with me giving him no right to take it out on you and I will be taking his car keys away every day after school until further notice but I won't keep you any longer..." He trails off while staring off into space — almost like he's thinking about something, "is it weird if I ask you for another hug?"

His words shocked me, but what shocked me even more was the fact that for the second time in the last twelve hours I gave him a light nod, before slowly wrapping my frail arms around his torso. He seemed to need this as much as I did, but why?