Prologue

As a werewolf, when we shift we all find that special someone we call our mate, or soulmate, our other half.

As a werewolf we don't find ours until we shift at the age of 18. Mates are supposed love, cherish, and protect each other until death parts them. Once that happens it is like a part of the living mate is ripped out and all they want is to be with their mate.

My name is Maria Smith and as you can guess I am a werewolf. Well soon to be anyway. I am 17 years old and I will be shifting for the first time in about 2 days! All werewolves shift for the first time at the age of 18. One of the best experiences that comes with shifting is that you can find your mate. I have waited all my life to find that one special guy to make my heart flutter every time I see him.

In my mind he is tall, absolutely stunning, romantic, everything you could want in a guy. Who knows if this guy even exists in real life, but a girl can hope, you know?

Anyways, back to me. I am a high school senior this year. I can not wait to get out for the school year. I'm not sure if I want to go to college next year or just skip and continue on with my life. College is a big deal. My decision will probably end up being based on if I find my mate, if I have to transfer packs to his, or if I don't find him. I know it seems like I am one of those girls who will base all of their decisions on their boyfriend, but I assure you I'm not.

I'm not one of those people who have a ton of friends, or who is popular. I have my own friends who like me for who I am, not what I can buy. My closest friend would be Ashley. We have been best friends since we were in preschool. We have our ups and downs, but who doesn't?

In my heart I know that I am loved. Finding my mate will only add to the love I give and get. What would happen if he comes with a lot of trouble though?