29.

"If this isn't the right place," I challenged, securing my bra in place as I turned to face him, "then nothing is stopping you from taking me somewhere else."

He drew back slightly, his gaze lingering on me without taking action, which made me feel uncomfortable and self-conscious. How often was I seen naked by men? The burning sensation of his scrutiny fueled my monotony.

As I tugged my hair to the side, he spoke up. "Tie it up."

"What?"

"Tie your hair up." His voice was so controlled. "Away from your face. It's better when I can see the fear in your eyes reflected back at you."

It seemed like an odd request out of nowhere, and an even more twisted notion that he liked that I was scared of him, but I complied nonetheless. Lifting my hair off my shoulders, I gathered it together and rolled it up. I secured it in place. I waited for further instructions, but he simply stared me up, stared through me, and stared me down.

"Let me hear your offer," he eventually goaded.

The offer I had been contemplating earlier? Alright. It was straightforward, but I wasn't sure if it would appease him. "I need to know about Alesia, or Ivan will destroy me for disappearing for days again and returning with nothing promising."

"That's not an offer, it's a demand," he inserted.

"I'm not finished." My hands moved to hook my bra. I felt no embarrassment in this act; Romano's rejection no longer made me feel ashamed. I now understood that his reluctance stemmed from caution about becoming involved with his enemy. At least, that's what I surmised.

After putting on my hoodie, I turned my attention back to him and resumed discussing my offer. "Equivalent retribution. I've already stated what I want—you tell me what you want." Offering a blank check was the ultimate move. If Romano was as astute as he claimed to be, he would know how to fill it out.

Giving Romano some space, I turned away and walked back to my previous position, allowing him the time he needed to collect his thoughts.

As I waited, it felt like time was slipping away, with Romano observing me as though his mind was elsewhere and would remain there. Eventually, he cleared his throat, signaling that he was ready to speak. With a wag of his index finger, he beckoned me to come closer.

"You're right, I don't think I want to kill you just yet," Romano began, his words drawing my full attention. "I want to use you for something..." My heart raced as I awaited his next words, wondering what he could possibly have in mind. "I've saved your life twice now, which gives me more right to it than anyone else, including you."

My throat felt dry as I contemplated the various possibilities of what he might want from me. I began to regret giving him the opportunity to dictate his terms. Perhaps I should have simply offered to sleep with him instead, or begged for mercy.

When he said it, my eyes widened. I nearly choked.

"What!"

He threw me two nods to confirm it. "Yes, I'd help you find out what happened to Ivan's daughter. If any member of the TIF was involved, you'd have intel for your uncle."

"And when all that is said and done?"

"You'd serve me his head."

I choked on my own breath. Though nearly freezing from fear, I still wanted to shake my head. This was the pinnacle of it all. Romano had crossed a line, clearly pushing the boundaries of what I was willing to tolerate. From intimate moments to now proposing an act of betrayal against my family in the name of "equivalent retribution," it was too much.