Luciana

———

———

LUCIANA TORRES HAD ALWAYS been alone for as long as she could remember.

She didn't know much about her past, only that she was born in South America.

Luciana never knew much about the Reestablishment, either.

How could she? She spent the first few years of her adolescence in a laboratory, cut off from society.

It was only after she escaped that she was truly able to learn about what the world had become.

After all, living in seclusion and isolation all those years meant that she had no way of communicating with the outside world.

Seclusion and isolation.

That's what life was for Luciana.

She never knew why she had been placed under the care of the Overseer's, only that she had been living with them since she was ten. Her memories of life before that had faded away over time.

At age fourteen, she was transported to North America, and kept in a lab.

That lab was Luciana's cell.

It was where she spent her days, her nights, and all her birthdays from ages fourteen and up.

But this was no ordinary prison cell. It was a torture chamber.

Sharp, metal, tools lined the walls, and the shelves were stacked with beakers of unknown chemicals.

But it was all for her own good, right?

Whenever they strapped her down...

Whenever they drugged her...

She would lie unconscious for days, and when she awoke she would have no idea what had been done to her body.

The scientists and doctors had said they would help her.

They said they could make her stronger.

In their minds, making her stronger meant hurting her.

"It's for your own good, Luciana." they said. "You'll get used to it. You'll grow accustomed to the pain."

They wanted to enhance her power, to cultivate it to their needs. But they failed.

Again and again, they tried to gain control, but they just couldn't.

Months went by with no progress. The head scientist, a woman in her mid-thirties, could be heard cursing at her paperwork, raging due to all the failed experiments.

"This one isn't worth our time." the scientists would grumble, but they still carried on with all the tests, ordered to do so by the higher-ups.

They all eventually became tired of her. They got bored, and decided they'd find someone else as their new experiment.

And so, after five years of seemingly endless torture, they disposed of her.

They forced Luciana onto a ship, not telling her where they were headed, only to abandon her in the vast, open fields of Sector 43, North America.

A few days of aimless wandering passed by excruciatingly slowly, where Luciana was sure she would die.

She had no water, no food, and she certainly didn't have the strength to go on much longer.

After six days, it started raining.

I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die. I'm going to die.

But no matter how much she wanted to, Luciana did not die.

She lived.

And it was all thanks to him.