[epilogue]

EPILOGUE

Kiongozi. Kion. It means 'leader,' 'chief' and 'guide' in the Swahili language, but Kion wasn't born a leader. Sure he was born royalty, but that didn't mean he was suited to the role. Besides, he was the final option, the spare: the one no one wanted to choose.

Yet here Kion stood today, crowned King of the Pride Lands.

He descended from the ledge of Pride Rock, hoping the noise of his subjects drowned out the nervous thumping of his heart against his ribcage. His pride roared in recognition and respect, Pride Landers made up of all furs and types. Kion still hadn't fully realized their praise and celebration was for him; he wondered if he ever would.

At the bottom, he came face-to-face with his family. Rani bounded over first, slamming into him with a manner that Zazu would have shunned. They rolled together until Rani stood over him, smiling brightly. She, like him, bore the blue paint of newly crowned royalty. Her eyes sparkled with happiness.

"You did it," was all she said.

Kion grinned. He had.

He got to his feet as the rest of his family came forward. His mother and father, calmer than Kion had seen them in years, wore proud —foreign— smiles. Vitani was pulling faces at him. Kovu stood silently, gaze faraway. Kion understood. This was never meant to be his day.

It should have been Kiara's.

But, as Rafiki put it that morning, this was the paw that life had dealt him — and he would embrace it so.

Of course, he would never forget his sister, or how her story had made his own come alive.

Kion glanced at Rani, his wife. He still couldn't quite believe that despite the fact that it'd been two months since they got married — and the fact that Rani was holding, nurturing, his cubs inside herself.

Life was different than he'd expected, Kion decided as he led the way back to the top of Pride Rock with Rani now at his side, and it wasn't perfect, but it was okay.

He exchanged glances with his queen, who gave him a mischievous lick on the muzzle, and together they began their newest chapter.

*

That's a wrap! Thank you to all the readers, voters and commentators who have supported me and my writing throughout. Be sure to check out my other works under my profile. Merry Christmas!
XX
get_you_the_moon_252