[8]

CHAPTER EIGHT
the ceremony

The weeks passed quickly after their escape from the Elephant Graveyard. If possible, even more had changed. Prince Baylio had departed to return to the Tree of Life, his own new royal duties beckoning him home. Vitani had been accepted —although not entirely welcomed— to the pride on the promise of peace. It had taken much convincing on Kion's part, as well as a prophetic word from Rafiki for Simba and Nala to accept her on trial. Meanwhile, Beshte had healed well from his injuries. Kion had taken to avoiding him and the others after their argument back in their rocky cell; it was better for all of them that he stayed away, he decided. As for Kovu, neither he nor Nuka had been seen since the Graveyard. It was unsettling, but it felt nice to have peace. Then there was Rani. Kion didn't want to acknowledge the feeling that bubbled in his stomach at the mere thought of her, and so, he tried to escape as best he could.

As young cubs, Kion and Kiara would explore the lands of their ancestors, find secret spaces in forgotten valleys, create stories and play games. As they grew up, the two siblings would continue to use their secret places to escape their responsibilities, if only for a short while. Although Kion had had far less on his plate than his sister did at the time, he had often found himself there, listening to nothing but his thoughts. Sometimes he would join Kiara, who sought time to herself after a particularly grueling lesson. Sometimes they would come together, just to exist, and it seemed that it was a tradition that carried on even after death.

Unlike 'The Royal Gardens' which were near Pride Rock, 'The Little Valley' was further away, hidden between several rock sequences that opened up to the sky. It was much like the Lion Guard's den, although with fewer rocks and more grass instead. They had found it while playing a game of 'Hunting the Rabbit,' which they both lost in the end. This was one of Kion's favourite places in the Pride Lands, where he and his sister had had secret conversations about the future, about boys and girls, about their parent's pasts and about what Scar's reign may have been like. He could vividly recall the last time they had gone together, the day before Kiara's first hunt. She had been nervous, fearing failure, and Kion had offered peace of mind through distracting conversations. Kion wished she was here to provide the same service to him, for in just a few hours, he would be crowned as the official heir to the Pride Land's throne. Everyone was bound to be searching for him, the time drawing nearer, but Kion could not bring himself to leave this peaceful place. Accepting his new role would mean the beginning of a new chapter— one without his sister. Kion didn't feel ready for that.

Staring at The Little Valley, Kion recalled a long-forgotten memory.

"What's it like, Kiara?" He had asked.

"What's what like?" Kiara retorted, sounding confused and a tad annoyed, far too tired too think of Kion's complicated questions.

"Having the pressure of the whole kingdom on your shoulders?" Kion asked softly.

Kiara had sighed, lifting her chin from her paws and had looked at him with earnest eyes. "Honestly... you should just be glad you don't have it on your shoulders."

Kion let out a dark chuckle. If only they had known then how it would all turn out.

A rustling sound broke Kion from his thoughts. He turned, back arched, ready—

"Kion, what in the name of the Great King's are you doing?!"

Kion huffed, standing straight. "I thought you were Kovu, Dad. Why'd you have to scare me like that!"

Simba chuckled lightly as he pushed himself through the prickly bushes that covered the entrance, concentrating on going un-pierced.

Kion rolled his eyes. Apparently his refuge was no long just his — no longer just theirs. "What are you doing here, Dad?" He asked Simba, not initially intending on sounding so harsh.

Simba, however, didn't bat an eye at his son's tone. "Everyone's looking for you. The ceremony is in just a few hours."

"I know, I know," Kion sighed, standing and beginning to pace. "I— I just needed a minute—"

"To think," Simba cut him off. Kion glanced at his father curiously. "But that's not all, is it?" Simba continued, casting a short gaze around the Little Valley. "You came to say goodbye," he said softly.

"H-how did you know?"

Simba smiled knowingly. "Did I ever tell you what I did after I defeated Scar?"

Kion couldn't help but roll his eyes again. "Only all the time."

"There was more, though," he said, "something I did not tell you. As soon as the last hyena had been chased off and the last embers of the fire stomped out... I went to the Butterfly Field."

"Why?" Kion asked softly, sitting down beside his father on the grass.

"To say goodbye to my father. You see... well, you know the story of the stampede. But outside the gorge, we shared many good memories. The night before he died, my father and I had played together in the Butterfly Field. He told me stories of the Great Kings and of his cubhood. That night that I revisited the field, I was able to find a connection to him, and in doing so, I was able to find the strength to lead."

Kion frowned. "You never told us this."

Simba nodded. "I should have. I realize that now. I also realized that I should have been easier on you after Kiara died. She was your sister. I'm sorry I put so much pressure on you with Rani, with lessons and then with Kovu around—"

"Dad," Kion interrupted gently. "It's okay. I understand now."

Simba smiled. It was probably the most genuine smile Kion had seen on his father's face since long before Kiara's death. Perhaps his dad was truly starting to heal from all the pain in his life.

It was a while before Kion stood, taking a deep breath. "I guess we should get going, huh? Can't miss my own ceremony."

Simba nodded, standing as well, and took the lead out the caves.

"Dad?" Kion called.

"Yes?"

"How did you find me anyway? Only Kiara and I knew about this place."

Simba scoffed playfully, looking at Kion over his shoulder. "I love that you both thought that. Two excited cubs can't keep a secret to save their lives. Besides, your mother and I discovered this place years before you were even an idea."

So, as the colors of the sky began to change from blue to various hues of orange, yellow and pink, Kion left the safety of his memories and childhood, his father at his side, a steady comfort and a reminder of what he still had.

Pride Rock was bustling with life, crowded with all sorts of animals hoping to get a glimpse of their new Crown Prince. Kion could clearly see Rafiki at the edge of Pride Rock, greeting the citizens with welcoming cheers, and the guard scattered around the rock form, keeping watch for any signs of Kovu or other Outsiders. The crowd parted as Simba and Kion passed through, animals greeting them and bowing their heads in respect. Kion knew many of them by name, and greeted them as such.

At the front of the crowd sat the pride, all beaming at Kion. His mother waited for them, and at her sides sat the rest of their family. Rani and Vitani, Tiffu and Zuri, his grandmother Sarafina, Amari, Haki, Malka and Furaha — the list goes on. They all gave encouraging smiles and nodded in respect.

Kion reached his mother's side and gave her a gentle nuzzle. She seemed surprised by the initial contact, but smiled widely. "Ready?" She asked.

"As I'll ever be," Kion replied.

"Come on then."

The three royals walked up Pride Rock together. At the ledge, Simba and Nala stopped, and Rafiki beckoned him forward. The animals went silent. Kion feared they would all hear his heart pounding in his chest.

Rafiki, grinning madly, broke apart a fruit and smeared its juice across Kion's forehead. Kion grimaced slightly, earning a stifled laugh from his parents and a bellow from the shaman. Then Rafiki knelt down and grabbed a bit of dirt from the rocky ledge and threw it over Kion's head, making him sneeze. Afterwards, Rafiki turned towards the crowd of animals. "Your prince, Kion!"