The Charade

Hi guys,

Uploading this short modern romance..hope u like it..

Plz vote and tell me whether you like it...Thanks!

Chapter – 1

Frank blinked as Diane walked in. He had known she would be dressed formally, yet somehow, he had subconsciously been hoping to find her dressed the way she had for Friday's party.

Looking at her now was like meeting a totally different person. Wearing a deep blue business suit -that left far too much to imagination for his liking, and with her hair pulled back into a knot at the base of her neck, she looked every inch the formidable businesswoman that she was.

She extended her hand as she approached, the corners of her mouth lifting up at her brief professional smile, "Mr. Franklin."

Frank went through the meeting on auto-pilot, his mind engaged in devising the best way to phrase his proposition.

Their business concluded, she rose, "If that's all -"

"Actually there is one other matter."

She half-turned, "Yes?"

"It's not strictly professional, so if you wish, we could set up a separate meeting -"

"I'm afraid I don't mix pleasure with business, Mr. Franklin"

Suddenly apprehensive, Frank found himself abandoning his well-phrased opening in favour of blurting out the truth, "Uh, actually it's about this rumour I heard about your mother disinheriting you – is it true?"

Anger made her defiant, "What if it is? I'm aware that she's one of your clients...has she asked you to terminate your contract with us?"

"No, no...It's just that I have a similar problem and uh, I was hoping we could put our heads together to devise a solution. For both, your problem and mine."

"What exactly do you have in mind, Mr. Franklin?"Suspicion had her narrowing her eyes.

"From what I hear, you need a husband?" He hesitated, unsure how to continue.

"Mm-hmm?" Diane raised an eyebrow. Even though she didn't like where this conversation was headed, looking at him, she had to admit that husband didn't sound so bad.

"Well, I need a woman in my life"

Need a woman in my life- God, how cheap did that sound? He thought, giving himself a mental kick; "At least, to get my family off my back," he added.

"I'm sure you have plenty of women in your life that would be only too happy to oblige, Mr. Franklin." She informed him icily.

"True, but they would expect a real relationship...I'm in favour of a business arrangement."

Diane wondered why she didn't simply walk out of the room; yet somehow, she found herself unable to leave. Hopefully, it was just curiosity and not the man himself who kept her rooted to the spot.

"And you are suggesting-?" She prodded.

"We pretend to be a couple...We move in the same circles; so, word will find its way to our respective families. Then, we put in a few appearances back home and they'll stop bothering us."

It made sense, Diane figured; he was definitely the right man to get her back into her mom's good books. Plus, he made it amply clear that it was to be a purely business arrangement. However, it would be prudent not to show how eager she was; also she needed time to find out more.