1

"Let me tell you what it's like, let me tell you what it's like..."

—

The lights are turned down low but the slow steady throbbing behind his eyes hasn't let up. The pain isn't terrible but the longer this session wears on the less he likes what he's hearing.

"A lot of people said I wouldn't be shit, I guess they own me an apology." Taurus finishes his verse and Durk nods his ascent when the man turns to him, eyes wide with anticipation.

The kid is good, his portion of the song flows perfectly with everything else and his lyrics are hard, Durk just wishes the man had more confidence in the stuff that he writes.

But shit like that takes time — he still remembers when he looked to Big A before going through with a song — and Polo G is still relatively new to the game.

He gon' be alright though, sometimes Durk catches a glint in his eyes when he steps into the booth, stubborn, unrelenting and strikingly familiar.

As if on cue his phone starts buzzing in his pocket, Taurus is just restarting the track muttering something to Hypno about ad-libs so Durk slips out the back, waving off the questioning look RJ gives him.

This ain't nothing serious, is what he tells himself even as his heart pounds fast in his ears.

Every since that trip to Atlanta the energy between him and Davyon has been...confusingly tense. He doesn't remember what happened but whatever it was has the nigga keyed up more than Durk's ever seen before.

"Yo, what's up?"

"Where you at?" Davyon's voice is low and sleep raspy and the sound makes something in Durk's chest loosen into something unfamiliarly warm.

"I'm out, whatchu need gang?" Durk keeps his answer purposely vague and just as he expected Von's voice comes through agitated, all traces of sleep gone as he shuffles around on the other side of the phone.

"Stop with that shit. Where are you?"

Knowing that he should probably stop egging the nigga on Durk laughs and checks his watch, he'll probably start heading back home soon, his verse is done and Taurus will be fine with Hypno and RJ. "I'm headed back to the crib."

"Ight, I'm gon' pull up."

His head throbs faintly and Durk grimaces, "Nah I'm not up to shit right now, my head is killin' me gang, I'm prolly gon' head to sleep when I get in."

Von just hums, voice deceptively light. "I'll see you in a minute."

"Nigga, I just said-"

The call clicks off and Durk stares at the black screen of his phone in mild shock. Who does this nigga think he is?

What do you think?

Also I'm literally just pulling shit out of my ass so if something is wrong or doesn't add up with real life, it's because of that.