Chapter 1

Nothing can compare to the sunrise in poplar, It's the right amount of quiet. Birds chirping from roofs, and the water calm before any of the challenges it will face. Adaline appreciated the silence; she stood tall holding onto the rails her lungs breathing in the chilling breeze that swept along her face. The winter sun was upon the horizon shinning across the water, "Beautiful view isn't it" a fisherman spoke, spooking Adaline out of her trance. "Amazing view" she replied, turning around to face the man, her brown eyes glowing as the sun caught them. "Be safe out there, the seas lying"; the fisherman said turning away; Adaline didn't catch is face, but his voice seemed reassuring. She let go of the rail. Poplar was awake, her bag on her shoulder swayed as she walked through the streets, Bright stalls of fresh fish and fruit laid the streets, one sold fresh cod for 5 shillings and 3 sixpence, Adaline supposed they were fresh, just caught, the next stall over was selling handmade wool in a rainbow of colours, she gazed at all the stalls until she found it, "Adaline! I was hoping to see you today" Mrs Corie said putting out the freshest fruit and vegetables in poplar, "you ready for the little one?" Adaline questioned, "absolutely, can't wait for this one to come, speaking of which I'll be away until this one comes then I'll be right back" Mrs Corie spoke "So what do you need?".

"500 grams of strawberries and 250 grams of Apples please" Adaline spoke holding out the 3 shillings 4 Sixpence she needed, Mrs Corie handed her the fruit, and they waved goodbye. The streets were crowded with little children all in uniform riding their newest bikes they got for Christmas, Parents not far behind. Small ice fell from the smoky sky falling gracefully to the cobbled streets, the paths slightly icy, Adaline reached the nonautus house. Her courage didn't let her knock or go in; instead, she waited outside rubbing her gloved hands together to warm them up, "what did that fisherman mean" Adaline thought to herself "The seas lying" it was a funny phrase she thought not one you would hear in passing conversations, who even was that man, he didn't seem to exist.

"Adaline! What are you doing standing outside, you can go in you know?" Sister julienne questioned as she walked up the steps, stopping before opening the door. "You're going to get sick" She continued placing her cold hand on Adaline's forehead. "It's not that bad" Adaline answered, "I'm pretty used to the cold". Sister julienne sighed before opening the door, It stood tall like a gate way; the wood twisting and turning like a never ending maze. "Oh it's warm in here" Adaline took off her long dust grey coat and hung it up, the aroma of fresh coffee filled the halls. "Any-way why were you out this morning?" Adaline perked up the courage to ask, "Mrs Jemarns had a scare, that's all" Sister Julienne replied, "Sister Winifred is in the kitchen, I'll be through in a second".