ᴏʙʟɪᴠɪᴏᴜꜱ - ᴊᴀᴠɪᴇʀ ᴘᴇÑᴀ

The vein in my head thrums with agitation as my grip tightens on my pen. After a bad day at work, the last thing I want to do is fill out a bunch of fucking reports. I reach for my now cold cup of coffee, sipping the bitter liquid with a grimace. My eyes trail toward the small stack of at least ten or so reports that I still have to do. I drop my pen on the desk, leaning back in my chair with a sigh, my hands clasped around the back of my neck as I let myself dissociate.

Something that has become a habit for me in the past few days. Just allowing myself to escape from reality so I can take a breath. I slowly regain focus, and the sound of knuckles knocking against my door pulls me fully into reality. "Come in," I lean back onto my desk, trying to look busy in case it's someone important. I look up as the door opens, Javier walks in, shutting the door behind him.

"What are you still doing here?" He questions, his hands in the pockets of his coat, signaling he was about to head out. I gesture toward the papers, causing his brows to furrow in confusion. He rounds my desk, now leaning down above me to look at the reports. My pulse quickens as my chest tightens from his sudden closeness. "You do realize that half of these are meant to be done by that prick across the hall,"

"His name is Jason and yes I do but he said he had a really important thing he had to do and asked me to write them for him," I respond with a shrug, not really minding doing Jason a favor. He's new to the case and is still getting the hang of things.

"He's using you," Javier says simply, turning so he now leaning against my desk, his gaze focused on me.

"He is not," I scoff at his words, not even sure why he cares in the first place. "He's a sweet guy,"

"Just cause he's taken you out to dinner a few times, doesn't mean he's a good guy," I stare up at him with confused eyes, my brows furrowed in questioning.

"How do you know that?"

"Cause he won't shut up about it. Bragging about getting to bone you and how you couldn't keep your hands off him a-- and I'm assuming none of this happened," His words shift as he takes in my angered gaze, my fists clenched at my sides. I push my chair out from my desk, grabbing the stack of papers as I do. I walk across the hall and drop the sheets on Jason's empty desk before walking back into my own office.

"That fucking prick!" My door slams behind me as my words erupt from my throat in a fire-hot rage. "Who the fuck does he think he is? Telling people that I put out for him! And to think I was gonna consider going out with him again!" I pace back and forth as Javier simply watches me, his arms crossed over his chest as a small smirk taints his lips. "I actually thought he was a good guy! I thought I'd finally found a good fucking guy," My words trail off as I hold my hands to my face, my body practically shaking with anger.

"Don't let it get to you," Javier says plainly, a shrug of his shoulders following his words. My head snaps in his direction, my jaw nearly falling slack at his words.

"Don't let it get to me?" I repeat his words back to him. "I wish it were that easy, Javier. You have no idea what it feels like to crave being wanted by someone, genuinely wanted," Before I realize it, I'm standing right in front of him, my eyes stinging as unshed tears threaten to present themselves. My chest rises and falls heavily as I maintain my gaze on his.

His hand comes up, gently cupping my cheek before he speaks. "Who hurt you Cielito?"(sweetheart) I practically turn to mush at his soft tone and gentle words. Never have I heard him use this kind of tone with anyone, ever. He's usually stoic and serious, focused solely on his job. Well, that is when he's not being a complete prick to everyone else.

"Too many people," My words come out breathlessly as I remember I have to respond to his question. His thumb caresses my cheek softly as his eyes gaze at my lips before regaining eye contact with me. His other hand snakes around my waist, pressing flat against my lower back. My hands come up to rest on his chest, not exactly sure what I'm meant to do.