Chapter Six - Safe Doesn't Always Mean Safe

The safe house was a modest two-story farmhouse nestled in a group of trees that was surrounded by large corn fields. The farmhouse had weathered white paint and green storm shutters. It had a homey vibe.

Chickens ran freely about the property as well as a few goats. Midnight looked on with interest and licked his lips a few times until I cleared my throat at him and shook my head once he looked up at me.

As we neared the house, an older, robust woman with brownish grey hair walked out onto the front porch with an apron wrapped around her waist. An old man was walking towards her from the barn that was a hundred yards away from the house.

"Well good morning," the woman called out to us. "What do we have here?"

Ian raised his hand to wave and made a strange humming sound. The older couple looked to each other and then back to us with wide smiles on their faces.

"My, my... we haven't seen anyone from the old planet in years. How may we help you?" The man said enthusiastically.

"I'm Ian Grant, son of General Wyatt Grant," he introduced himself.

The couple's eyes grew large from hearing his name and looked to one another before looking back at us. I guessed they had heard of his father before.

"We are Helena and Dillon Mayord. Welcome to our home. Come, come on in," Dillon waved for us to follow them inside.

I looked to Ian and he nodded for me to continue. I was a little nervous. Something about the two didn't feel right to me. I didn't know why. They looked like a nice friendly old couple but the way they spoke sent chills down my spine. I was actually ready to go and get as far away as fast as I could. I couldn't voice my concern just yet to Ian since, we were now in their home and besides, he would probably just think I was over reacting.

I left Midnight outside and hoped he wouldn't eat any of the chickens.

Helena offered us a seat and we sat together on a large sectional sofa.

"And who might this young beauty be?" Helena asked with a ring in her voice that was a little too high to be considered normal.

"This is Macy Rhodes. She and I are traveling together to see the world," Ian lied smoothly.

I made the mistake and snapped my gaze at him in reaction to his lie and noticed him sighing. I wondered if he felt the odd feeling that I did about the elderly couple.

They offered us food and drink but Ian kindly declined for us both. I found that even stranger. He didn't even let me answer for myself. I actually wanted some of the meatloaf and milk she had offered us. I was starving.

"There's a snow storm coming in tonight. The weather man said it will be a bad one," Dillon spoke as he sat in his lazy boy as he looked between Ian and me.

Ian continued to speak to them as I sat very tightly next to him. Midnight was left roaming around outside. I hoped he wasn't chasing their chickens.

I had to go check on him because I worried he would so, I had to excuse myself. "I'm sorry, if you don't mind, I need to step outside and check on my cat. I don't want him to get into trouble."

"Yes, dear. Go on. You can bring him inside if you like. We don't mind at all. We love animals. That is why we picked a farm to live on," Helena explained. She spoke a little strangely but I just smiled and nodded before heading out.

"Midnight," I called out.

Meow. [Over here love,] he answered as he watched the chickens peck the ground lazily.