Chapter Four - A Little History

It felt like I had just fallen asleep when a hand gently shook me awake. "Macy, we need to get moving."

"Just a little longer please," I moaned and swatted at the hand that was shaking me.

"No, come on. Wake up," he shook harder.

I was so exhausted that I didn't know how I was going to make it.

I climbed out of the sleeping bag all sluggishly and tripped when my shoe caught on to the sleeping bag.

I put my hands out to catch myself and they dug into soft dew earth. I sighed as I stood up straight and found a water bottle in my face. I looked into Ian's eyes and couldn't read his mood or expression.

"Thank you." I said and took the water bottle from him.

After cleaning my hands, I rolled up my sleeping bag and looked around at my surroundings. We were definitely deep in a forest. I watched Ian pack up our things quietly. I didn't know what to do or even say.

When he began to walk away, I quickly looked at Midnight and followed with a shrug of my shoulders.

After drudging on for miles quietly I was ready to fall out. We eventually came upon a small town around lunch time.

I leaned up against a tree and didn't care if Ian left me. I needed a rest and he kept walking for a few more feet before pausing. As I grabbed a bottle of water from my backpack Ian turned around and sighed.

"Ok, stay here. I'll be back," he whispered.

"Where are you going?" I really didn't want him to leave me there but I also didn't want to move just yet.

"I'm going to go find us a car." He turned looking down the road.

My eyes widened in alarm. "No, please. Don't steal one. I have money. We can rent one or buy a cheap one." He looked back as I spoke to him.

"Macy, we can't let anyone see us together and we cannot use your identification. They could track us like that. I know enough of the humans of this planet to know that," he scolded me. "And not to mention you need identification for a sale or rent. Am I right?"

"Yes. You are," I grumbled and looked to the ground at Midnight.

I hated doing things that were illegal or even close to being illegal and this was one of those big no-no's.

He took off through the break in the trees and headed towards a few parked cars in the distance.

I hoped he was smart enough to know to at least steal an older model that way the alarm wouldn't sound. Not to mention the g.p.s. I looked down to Midnight and shrugged my shoulders because I didn't know what else to say.

[Could you open me a can of food once we are in the vehicle?] Midnight asked me.

I had forgotten all about him probably being thirsty too.

"Here Midnight," I said cupping my hand and pouring some water for him.

He lapped it up and I poured more for him, [Thank you Macy.]

I smiled to him. "You're welcome. I have to admit, this still feels odd to have you answer me."

[I know,] he answered.

An older model grey Buick pulled to the side of the road near the break in the trees where we were. The door flung open and Ian yelled for us to hurry. I picked up Midnight and drug the suitcase to the car.