Chapter Three - Voices

I looked around, not sure exactly where that strange voice came from. It sounded like it came from my lap but that was impossible.

I left Midnight on my bed and walked to my kitchen where Ian was now making sandwiches.

"Did you say 'you're welcome?'" I asked him.

"No. Are you ready?" He asked rudely.

"I told you, I'm not going," I smarted back.

He slammed the butter knife down and turned to face me. I jumped at the sudden noise, but stood my ground. "You have to go," he spoke through clenched teeth.

I shook my head no, stubbornly.

He huffed and closed his eyes. After a few seconds, he opened them and looked a lot calmer.

[You need to go with him Macy.] I heard that same voice I heard in my bedroom but now in the kitchen.

This time, I knew it wasn't Ian because his mouth didn't move. Great, I thought, now I was losing my mind. Midnight began nuzzling around my feet.

"Hold my hands again please," Ian lifted his hands up.

I sighed and took his hands. As soon as I closed my eyes I was watching memories flash before me again.

"Macy," a beautiful woman with green eyes and long, dark auburn hair called after me. It was the same women from the previous memory. "You must promise me to always listen to Ian in times of crisis. He will help and protect you," she said smiling at the little girl she held in her arms. The little girl touched her mother's cheek to wipe her tears away. "Don't cry Mommy. I will see you in a little while." The little girl smiled up to the woman.

I slowly opened my eyes to see Ian picking up Midnight. "Was that my Mother?" I asked breathlessly.

"Yes," he answered in a whisper.

I slowly turned to look around at my surroundings. Things just didn't seem real, as if I were in a dream. I pinched myself just for the heck of it, and it hurt.

[I don't think she believed you.] Midnight purred from Ian's arms.

"I don't think so either," Ian whispered. He snapped his head from looking at Midnight, to looking at me just as I turned around. With eyes squinted, I pointed to him with my finger accusingly and tossed him a suspicious look.

"Who ... was... that?" I asked with a pause after each word and a tilt to my head.

"Who was who?" He asked confused and released Midnight onto the floor.

"I heard another voice. Who were you just talking to?" I was beyond frustrated now, and my voice began to rise along with my temper.

Now Ian had the squinted eyes and a confused look. He glanced towards Midnight before looking back to me.

Maybe I was becoming schizophrenic. I had begun to hyperventilate when a loud knock sounded from my door; startling me and causing me to jump.

Ian placed his finger over his lips to signal to me to be quiet. "Just act normal, deny everything, and don't let them in," he whispered straight into my ear before running to hide in my bedroom.

I walked over and peeked through the peep hole. It was two guys dressed up like meter readers. How obvious were they? They must have a low I.Q's to not know that meter readers do not knock on doors or work this late in the afternoon.

I quickly undressed and wrapped a large towel that Ian had used, around me. I chained my door and slowly cracked it open. "May I help you?" I asked of the two men.