Birthday Snow - Chapter 1

Birthday Snow

Cyno was having a hard time deciding what to get Tighnari for his birthday. It was coming up very soon, and Cyno wanted to give Tighnari the best gift possible. Nilotpala Lotuses were good, but Tighnari had plenty of those already.

Plus, he never seemed to be the "flowers for the purpose of giving flowers" kind of guy. Collei was already going to give him a Nagadus Emerald, and Cyno did not feel like tramping out to the woods to nuke fungi. He groaned as he stabbed the Eremite he was fighting.

Why was his boyfriend so hard to shop for? There was nothing he wanted that he didn't have. The Eremite threw a knife, which he narrowly dodged. "Give up! I'll never give you my canned knowledge!"

Cyno electro charged his hand. "I will never give up. Judgement is u-" he was cut off and stopped by the Eremite, who shot him in the shoulder with a pocket knife. He was getting more frustrated by the minute.

This Eremite would not stop, his boyfriend was impossible to shop for, and the dang desert was so freaking hot. All of a sudden, a green arrow shot the Eremite in the head.

"Let's nip that in the bud!" Cyno smiled as the Eremite fell down. "As precise and clear as ever, love."

Tighnari tossed his bow behind his back. "Don't be a sap, Cy." But he still knelt his head down to kiss him. "What brings you here, Nari?"

The fennec fox smiled. "Well, if you must know, I was scouting out desert areas semi-affected by the Withering." "Oh god, that would be awful. Are you okay?" Tighnari shivered. "Still shaky from the effects, but otherwise fine." Cyno frowned.

"I worry, Nari. You know that." Tighnari smiled. "I know. It's my job, though. Just like yours, it comes with the danger of loss. But I try not to worry too much."

He kissed the tip of Cyno's nose. "But why are you here here?" Asked Cyno. "I heard your "judgement is upon you" chant get interrupted and I rushed over. Here, antibiotic for your wound." Cyno cleaned himself up.

"Are you okay though? I know you don't fare well in the desert." Tighnari smiled. "I don't. It's slightly more bearable now, though." "Hmm? And why is that?" Tighnari flicked his tail. "It's winter, and even though it doesn't get much colder in Sumeru, it's slightly less hot." Cyno smiled. "Ah, I see." Tighnari sighed.

"Its never cold enough though."

Cyno raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" Tighnari blushed a pinkish color. "I've never really... seen snow before. Lumine told me it's really cold, like the rain in the forest, but also gentle- well, unless there's a snowstorm, then it's almost worse than rain."

Cyno laughed. "Snow is wonderful, Nari. It's cold, at first, but it's just so beautiful. Kind of like you." Tighnari chuckled. "Aww, how sweet. But how have you seen snow?"

Cyno looked to the ground. "I'm, like, ninety percent sure my parents are Mondstadtian and moved to the desert, even though I hail from the land of Lower Setekh."

Tighnari looked confused. "It snows in Mondstadt?" Cyno laughed. "No, there's a mountain in Mond called Dragonspine. It snows there."

Tighnari's ears perked up like they did when he was excited. "You've been?" Cyno nodded. "Once, when I was looking for my parents as a teenager. It's really cold, but the lower regions are quite nice, such as the Snow Covered Path."

Tighnari smiled. "Ahh, just thinking about it makes me feel cooler. Thanks, Cy! See you." As Tighnari walked away, Cyno smiled slyly. He had just found the perfect gift for his partners birthday. But he was going to need a little... help. And he knew exactly who he could call on for that.

•••

"So you can totally handle this, correct?"

"Of course I can, Cyno, I've been waiting for a chance to lead the Forest Watchers while Master Tighnari is away!"

"Okay, but if you need help, don't hesitate to-"

"Cyno, it's fine! Please, go have fun with Master Tighnari. It is his birthday, after all. He should enjoy it with the people he loves."

"He loves you too though, you know?"

"Yes, I know. But not in the way he loves you. So please. Go show him the snow! He will love it."

After making arrangements with Collei, Cyno headed to get Tighnari.

"Hello Cy."

"Hello Nari, I have a surprise for you!"

Tighnari's ears perked up in curiosity. "Oh really?" Cyno nodded. "Yeah. But, we gotta go now if we're gonna make it before the day ends. Don't worry, I left Collei in charge."

Tighnari gave him a concerned look. "Cyno, you know Collei is a little-"Nari, she is perfect. She has been waiting for this chance since she became a forest watcher!" Tighnari nodded.

"You're right. She's a responsible kid, she can handle herself." Cyno took Tighnari's hand. "Alright then, let's go!" Cyno took Tighnari to the edge of Avidya Forest, where the Traveler was waiting for them.

"Huh? What is Lumine doing here?" Tighnari questioned. Lumine momentarily ignored him.

"Okay, so warm clothes should limit your exposure to sheer cold, but also don't forget to stop at fire pits every once in a while. Also, since I'm traveling with three, I can only take you guys to the Statue of the Seven, but you should be able to walk to the campsite from there."

Cyno nodded. "We'll keep that in mind. Come on, Nari, take Lumine's hand. It'll all make sense in a minute."

Tighnari cautiously took Lumine's hand. "Close your eyes, Tighnari." Lumine told him. He shut his eyes. All of a sudden, he felt a cold breeze on his face. Like, really cold. But they were in the hot and humid Sumeru, how was that...

"Alright, open up!" Tighnari opened his eyes to a vast snowy wonderland.

...possible.

He gasped. "I-It's snowing. It's SNOWING!!!" Cyno smiled. "I told you he'd like it." Tighnari gasped.

"You put this together!" Cyno blushed. "Well, Lumine was the one who teleported us here, but yeah, I had the idea. Now we should put these on. It's cold."

He handed Tighnari a coat, whilst he had to slip on an undershirt, a jacket, and leggings to make up for his desert friendly attire. "I'll leave you two here, I have commissions to do in Inazuma." Lumine said. Once they were alone, Cyno looked at Tighnari.

"I-I know you don't like being away from Sumeru for too long, but I heard you say you loved snow and-" He was abruptly cut off by Tighnari kissing him. "Aye-a, you big lummox, this is the best birthday gift ever. This is why I love you so much." Cyno pulled him into a tight hug. "Mmm, sorry, I was cold." Tighnari hugged him back. Cyno smiled.

"Happy birthday, Nari."

Authors Note:
Hey guys! I had this inspiration for a fanfic today since it's our favorite fox boy's birthday, and his voice line for when it snows is ADORABLE. Oh yes, and I feel Tighnari would be besties with Albedo given the chance, so... Dragonspine. Lastly, explaining the teleporting. Lumine can teleport with the Waypoints and statues, but it takes energy. None of the residents of Teyvat know how to use these teleporters, so only Lumine can use them. However, she can take a few people with her if she teleports to a statue and not a Waypoint. Also, this chapter could be taken as a stand alone, but stay tuned for more possible updates.

All artwork used belongs to the original artists.

No characters or world belongs to me. The only thing belonging to me is the plot.