Red

You're parents, the village, the elders always warned you stayed away from the forest at the base of the mountain.

   They warned you about the beast that lurked in the night,  that thrived on the darkness that it brought.

    You wished you listened to them as you sat there on the cold, damp forest floor looking at the ravenous wolf above you.

Wolves.

Not normal wolves, of course. Those would never elicit such a panicked frenzy.

But Wolves. Werewolves. Humans caught up in and overtaken by the darkness. People twisted into bloodthirsty creatures.

That's why most people moved to high and or hidden places to escape their grasp. An example of this is your home, hidden away at the summit of a mountain. It was a sanctuary from the beasts.

    It's cold blue eyes contrasted, it's dark gray fur. The bright moonlight lite It's huge body. As its dark shadow covered your petite young body.

You were trying your best to keep your breathing regular.

     It was extremely stupid,  from your part, to come down the mountain. You knew the stories. The people that gave into the darkness became the beasts of the night. You knew how destruction and death followed in their wake.

You were too curious.

   Ever since you were younger, you always were adventurous and curious. You always wanted to see the world, and seeked the freedom to do exactly that.

   You couldn't succumb to panic. Even if you were just thirteen; you were braver than most.

    Against your brains, better judgment, you looked directly, in its cold blue eyes, showing defiance, even if you were going to die.

That seemed to irritate it and it started to growl at you.

It continued to growl at you, slowly walking towards you, designing wide circles as a predator with its prey.

You slowly back away as its pursuit of you continued.

It was on top of you like lightning, its huge, dark paws quickly landing on your shoulders. While its sharp deadly claws pierced into your shoulder blades.

You focused on your whole self to not scream.

You had to be strong, no matter what.

The wolf, its eyes fixed on you as if it were about to go in for the kill, suddenly took flight, landing a few feet away with a thud against a nearby tree.

You couldn't move, you were still in shock.

What happened?

That's all you could think about.

As you frantically tried to figure out what happened a smaller, but just as terrifying wolf jumps over you.