A True Story

The following content is all a true story of a real horse who became a sergeant in the Marines

The following content is all a true story of a real horse who became a sergeant in the Marines.  We follow her life up to the Marines and of her servitude in the Marines.
Thank you for reading!

"Reckless was a very special horse and undoubtedly bonded through a spiritual connection of love with her Marines. The noise and waves of concussion can't be described, but she endured it all. I believe an angel had to be riding reckless since she was alone and without a Marine to lead her." Sergeant Harold E Wadley USMC (retired). This is an amazing story of a small racehorse recruited as a pack horse for the Marines who became a hero during "The Forgotten War." 

Kim Huk Moon was the name of a young Korean man, who was an extremely successful horse jockey and trainer before World War II

Kim Huk Moon was the name of a young Korean man, who was an extremely successful horse jockey and trainer before World War II.  Kim helped train Ah-Chim-Hai, "Flame of the Morning", a horse that he fell in love with.  Kim had also become Flame's jockey and won countless victories.  He held deep affection for the horse, his most cherished moments were spent with her.  Kim had a hopeful dream to become Flame of the Morning's proud owner one day.

At the end of World War II, Kim's greatest desire came true.  During the war, Kim and Flame had been assigned a task to work at a Japanese prisoner of war camp.  During that time, he and Flame had saved the lives of many tortured and starving American POWs (prisoner of war) by sneaking food to them.  When Japan finally surrendered and the camp was liberated, Kim's reward for his selflessness, kindness and heroic actions, at the camp, was Flame's ownership papers.  Kim returned to his home overjoyed to share the news of owning his dream horse, Flame, with his family.

Kim bred Flame with another racehorse, a stallion from Pusan. The result was a small, chestnut colored filly with a Blaze of white down her face and 3 white stockings; two on her back legs and one on her right front leg, and has a sock on her left front leg.  The strongly anticipated joyful birth of the filly occurred at Seoul's Sinseol-dong racetrack in June 1948.  The sentimental Kim named the baby after her mother, Ah-Chim-Hai—Flame of Morning.   Just a few days after the wonderful, tender, birth of Flame tragedy strikes. Her mother spiked a fever, sadly dying in Kim's arms.  Kim bitterly blamed himself, thinking his desire of another racehorse had remorsefully killed his championship mare and most loved companion.  Kim holding anger and unforgiveness in his heart could no longer bear to look at young Flame.