Chapter 1

5:00 pm Saturday (Nick)

Nick loved the early sunsets of the winter months. He had started going on walks almost every afternoon a couple of months ago. It was nice but now he had to be quicker or he'll be walking in the dark which isn't ideal. Tonight he got carried away taking photos and the light was rapidly fading from the sky and his phone was dead. He was glad the house was close. Chris and Matt were out doing something today. Nick couldn't remember what he also couldn't remember why he didn't go with them. This week had been a little tiring and the quiet was welcome, for the first 2 hours at least. After that passed it was just boring. So he decided a walk would be nice, and it was no doubt. Now though, it was a little cold. Despite it being California, SoCal to be exact it still got cold in winter but not lower than 45. Nick kept heading towards his home and tried to ignore the uncomfortable feeling of walking alone in the dark. Having no access to his phone made it 5 times worse.

As he got closer he walked faster, the unsettling feeling in his stomach grew faster. The streetlights were now switching on above him. Finally after what felt like too long he made it to his door and fumbled for the keys. Once found he rushed inside and slammed the door behind him. He got a snack and headed upstairs to shower and calm his nerves.

Afterwards he spent some time cleaning the mess he left in his room from his earlier haste to escape the quiet. He would've invited over one of his but for the first time in a while everyone was unavailable. Nick forgot about his phone being dead and went to plug it in but his charger decided that this was the time to stop working. Nick sighed. "This really isn't my evening is it?" He was tempted to go to one of his brother's rooms and use his but he decided it wasn't important enough. He'd ask when they got back which should be soon.

Nick was working on something on his laptop when he heard a door open and close downstairs. He immediately assumed it was Chris and Matt. He waited for Chris to obnoxiously call out to him but no such call came. Suspicious, Nick began to make his way downstairs. "What are you guys scheming here?" Nick said halfway down the stairs. "Hello? What is happening?" Still there was silence. His brothers weren't there either, nobody was. Nick huffed in confusion and checked both their rooms but to no avail. The garage was also empty.

Just as Nick began to make his way back to his room he feels blinding pain in his shoulder. Before he can react, a towel is placed over his mouth and nose and he immediately falls into darkness.

(Chris) 5:30 pm Saturday

"Matt we should head home." Chris says bored and antsy.

"I know Chris, but we still have a few more things to do. It's only going to take an hour, hour and a half more okay?"
Matt says annoyed at Chris for begging to leave, again.

Usually Chris wouldn't be this on edge but they had been gone for more than 4 hours already and Nick hasn't been responding to his texts of calls. Chris only called 3 times but that was more than he usually would whenever they weren't together.

"Oh my fucking God Chris, will you relax! Jesus! Nick is the most fine alone out of us, and he's more productive so he's probably doing something away from his phone." Matt snapped at Chris after witnessing him form yet another text to Nick. "I know that what we are doing leaves a little too much time for your mind to drift but I need it to drift to more positive places, okay?" Matt finished and placed a hand on Chris's shoulder. This gentle gesture showed he was sorry for his outburst. Chris nodded. "I'll try." Chris responded. "Great, that's all I need. I will try to cut this short. I get you are worried about him." Matt got up and walked away to continue his task.

Chris put his phone down and attempted to focus on something else. Eventually he was called away to help Matt.

6:10 pm Saturday (Matt)