30 ~ Surprise surprise

Alessio

As Caleb drove us to 7311 Radford Avenue, I thought to myself how silly the idea was, but I didn't stop the car. When we arrived and he knocked, I thought about the worst that could happen if things didn't turn out like we hoped, but I still didn't say a word. And as Caleb made an offer to our suspect - one that I hadn't expected at all - I still didn't interfere.

"Whatever amount they're paying you, Marcellus, my client here can pay five times the amount."

My eyes widened at what I had heard. I subtly nudged the crazed lawyer but he disregarded it. Marcellus, characterized by a deep cut right above his left eyebrow, began cracking a smile. His really thin lips were almost hidden due to his thick beard.

He stopped grinning, and I was expecting him to decline Caleb's offer as well as deny the indirect accusation. He stared into Caleb's eyes with a stony gaze then crossed his arms. He warily frowned. "I want to see the money first."

"Sure," Caleb guaranteed, leaving me to now wonder what the heck was in the heavy briefcase he had brought along from his car. Just then there was a knock on the door. Marcellus was already disgruntled with whoever was crashing the party. He left the living room to go answer it.

"Just what money do you plan on showing to him?" I asked once we were left alone.

Caleb hushed me and whispered that all he had in the rectangular container of his were fake dollar bills. It was to fool the third party into saying everything he knew.

"Why didn't you just tell me this was the plan?"

I never got an answer because Marcellus came back shortly after, and to our astonishment, both his hands at the back of his head with an utterly unencouraging countenance. Carl then emerged, a gun in his hand.

"Carl? What's going on here?" I asked.

"Stay," he warned Marcellus and walked to an end table a few feet away from where Caleb and I stood. His other free hand roamed underneath it until he found what he was looking for. He then marched back to his hostage and kicked him in the back. Marcellus grimaced. "I knew this spy cam would come in handy. Planning on selling me out, eh?"

"I wasn't even going to tell them the whole truth. Just... just half the truth."

"Hey, hey, hey! Stay there!" Carl cautioned in my attempt to get closer to him. I was as confused as anyone in the room who didn't know what was going on.

"Carl-"

"Don't move a muscle!"

I did move, swiftly and close enough to grab the wrist of the hand that held the gun, and after avoiding a fired bullet, kicked his shin to distract him. Once the gun was out of his reach, I pushed him to the ground and sat on him to stop him from moving. Caleb had wisely taken the gun before Marcellus did, his hands shaking around the weapon.

"Have you lost it, Carl? Who's side are you on?"

"You think he's on your side?" Marcellus spoke, "He's the one who set me up to it. Him and his friends are the real masterminds behind everything, you idiot."

The smile of satisfaction on Carl's face confirmed it all. The shocking news made my heart beat faster in its chest. I had to hear him say it himself.

"He's lying to me, right?"

"Of course!" Carl laughed heartily. "I'm the only mastermind here. Rhys, Rory an Muhammad would have never pulled it off without my help."

I was too stupefied to deliver the punch I had in mind.

"Get off me, Alessio," he calmly demanded. "Or else Destiny's not going to enjoy what I do to her next."