Blazing

Texas, U.S.

2027

Epilogue

___________________

Running. That's all I could think of doing. They were gaining on me. I could smell smoke... They were so incredibly close now.

I could hear their growls and see their eyes, hungry for flesh. I could feel the fear rising up in me that I might not make it through this. I see flames rise up all around me. I trip suddenly. And it felt like I could get back up. Couldn't unfurl my wings, they were burning. They groaned with pain. All I could see was smoke. I was choking.

All I could see turned red and gray, engulfing me.

Chapter 1

Cleo

_______

The sun pierced through the blinds. I woke up screaming. Luce ran into the room with wide eyes.

"Oh my gosh?What happened?Are you ok!?"

I shook my head wearily. "That same dream..." Luce nodded knowingly then walked out of the room. I groaned and rolled out of bed.

I walked into the bath room, closing and locking the door. I had a major head ache.

I check myself over in the mirror. I'm ok. I am ok. As I unfurled my wings a little, I heard a knock at the door. "Cleo..? Are you ok in there?".

It was Raelynn. The sweetest little 7 year old girl in the world.

"Yes sweetie, I am."

I unlock and open the door and walk out.

Raelynn pulled me into the kitchen and of course she's hungry. She always is. I gave her a pot and a wooden spoon for her to clank together.

"Now wake everyone up first please?". "Ok!".

She starts running through the house clanking the pot and spoon together. I laugh.

Luce then comes out of her room, rolling her eyes. She's 14.

"I was already up!".

"I know", I say, "but I'm not cooking so Jake nee-".

"Speaking of the devil", Luce said, cutting me off.

I look just in time to see Jake walk out of his room, without a shirt on. He's 15. He has an innocent face with dark brown hair, light brown eyes, with a farmers tan. Oh.My.Gosh. Don't let me forget really fit.

"Quit staring Cleo. It's creepy", he said.

"I-I'm sorry", I replied with a blush. "Your cooking." I say as a recovery.

Raelynn comes back into the kitchen dragging Haidyn, whose 11 and her real brother. They look a lot alike with that red hair and blue eyes. Raelynn hands me the pot and spoon and says,

"Food please?".

Jake was already working on that in the kitchen, with Haidyn's help.

Me and Luce help to set the table. I look around 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... But no 6. We were missing someone.

One last person comes straggling out of his room. It's Nicolus. Age 15 like Jake. His long brown almost black hair tangled. His grey eyes alert.

He didn't say anything to us when grabbing a plate. Of course, I wouldn't blame him.

He is new here and all.

Nicolus is 15, as I have said before, he's tall, with light, angelic grey wings. He was taken away form his family like all of us but to a different facility. He was infused with bird DNA like the rest of us were, but he is different from us in a way. I can't place a finger on it. Maybe it's his tranquil temper. Who knows.