The Battle of Athens January 26, 1864

Dieter W. von Dölau was Pennsylvania Dutch in the Union army. He was tall, charming, and had a slight accent. In the winter of 1863-1864 he served under Captain Emil Adams in the 9th Illinois Mounted Infantry regiment. Dieter had been in the army for a year and a half and had fought and won many battles. He was well liked and followed orders. Dieter was a model soldier.

He enlisted at sixteen. Dieter was one of the many underage soldiers of the Civil War and had to work hard to hide his still-boyish nature. Several times he had come very close to being caught but Dieter was clever. He was an expert liar and forger. He was quick and nimble, but most of all he was brave. Dieter was a model soldier.

Dieter had seen death. He had killed in the name of peace and freedom. Comrades and friends were shot and killed before his eyes. He put his life at stake everyday, but his closest encounter with death was at the battle of Athens, Alabama.

It was January of 1864 when Dieter's regiment of about 100 men arrived in Athens. They had just spent a cold Christmas eating nothing but hard tack and the odd fruit or vegetable but the men were in the best of spirits. Dieter had become friends with an older man by the name of Frederick A. Williamson, a farmer from New York. Dieter and 'Fred' loved to poke fun at each other's heritage. They affectionately called each other 'Peter' and 'Fritz'.

On the snowy night of the 25th, Deiter and Fred were posted at the west edge of the city to stand watch. The sun had set and a ridged breeze ruffled their army issued coats and nipped at their noses. Fred shivered and pulled up his collar.

"Chilly night, ain't it?" His brown eyes and matching hair looked almost black in the dark.

"Ja, Fritz. I'd like to start a fire but of course the Kapitän won't allow that."

"No. He'd skin us alive and use our hides to keep the edge off the cold." Dieter chuckled and set his rifle down at his side. The Confederates had been quiet that month and the sixteen year old didn't expect any action.

The hours ticked by. Dieter and Fred talked about everything and nothing. Just friendly chatter. It was around four in the morning when, despite the cold, Dieter's eyelids started to droop. The gently falling snow was hypnotizing. After this he'd have to ask the Captain for a hot bath and a rest.

Fred suddenly snapped to attention.

"What is it?" Dieter whispered, alarmed.

Fred's eyes squinted in the dark as he scanned the area. "I thought I saw something."

Dieter glanced around, straining his eyes. His heart started to beat rapidly.

He watched. He listened. He never had stood so still.

Suddenly, out of the darkness came a shout. Another followed and another. Guns fired and cannons thundered. They were under attack!

Frederick whipped out his bugle (the only loud thing he had at the time) and blew with all his might. An ear piercing but inappropriately cheerful call sounded through the night. Dieter could hear his comrades waking up and scrambling about for their guns and ammunition. He himself took up his own rifle, loaded it quickly and pointed it in the direction of where he thought a confederate would be. He fired. The kick made him stumble backwards and hurt his shoulder but he paid it no mind.

Fred took a turn and then Dieter again. Back and forth, back and forth. Dieter thought the ringing in his ears would never cease.

He heard his commanding officer shout for them to regroup. Dieter and Frederick gathered just inside the city's entrance, prepared to carry out Captain Adams's plan. A few other soldiers kept the rebels at bay.