Prologue

When the concert tickets went on sale, I asked everyone I knew if they'd go with me. My mom wouldn't entertain the idea longer than two seconds, friends swore his music was shitty indie music, and my dad? Well, he was never one for live music. The first and last time I dragged him to a concert, he got so sick to his stomach he had to leave before the second opener took the stage. It was decided, I was going to the concert alone, which shouldn't surprise me.

Since my parents got a divorce, I was left on my own. Rather than eating dinner as a family, my mom was often out with her boyfriend, leaving me with a nanny until I got old enough that I could fend for myself. Going to the fair as a family became not going to the fair at all. All possibilities of adventure were lost.

Being alone all the time lead me to finding new hobbies, and I picked up reading rather quickly. Reading gave me the opportunity to experience new worlds from the comfort of my bed. Books taught me how to love, cry, battle wars, and even find my own voice in art - which lead to drawing. At first, it was scribbles that eventually turned into rough sketches. Now I can draw realistic people, though face symmetricity is something I haven't completely mastered... yet.

At eighteen years old, I decided I wasn't going to let the lack of family and friends stop me from enjoying my summer as much as possible.