013. the price of freedom

CHAPTER 13 | THE PRICE OF FREEDOM

if someone were to ask okkotsu what life was like while he was five years old, he would tell them that it was great

if someone were to ask okkotsu what life was like while he was five years old, he would tell them that it was great. he loved his family and had rika, his best friend whom he spent almost every day with.

they played with water guns at the park and came home dripping wet. they had competitions to see who could get the highest on the swings and had tried to see who could go the longest without getting dizzy on the roundabout.

he had so much fun. so without a doubt, five year old okkotsu would think that life was amazing. he could easily tell everyone that it was spectacular.

fifteen year old okkotsu, on the other hand, was clouded with thoughts of misfortune. before he enrolled into jujutsu tech, he thought that maybe it was okay to let go for good.

she followed him everywhere he went. she hung over his shoulder. she would hurt anyone within six feet of him that would even dare to glance at him in a way she deemed wrong.

as long he was around, she was too.

crazy accidents with his family, violent catastrophes with bullies, and strange incidents happening to people in the streets. no matter how he looked at it, it only happened because he was there.

he was the one with rika attached to him. he should be isolated instead of near others. he was all fault for what happened to his childhood friend.

and he has come to terms with it. even though he should be blamed for everything, she thought otherwise. rika orimoto's soul finally being able to be at peace resulted in two things.

the first was the weight on okkotsu's shoulders was lifted. when he defeated geto in a fight using his full power, he used rika's powers as well. he released the shackles holding her down in order to do so.

rika's child form appeared in front of him once again. even though they were wary, the others let him step closer. gojo also came to the scene and explained that rika was finally freed.

okkotsu had dropped to his knees and cried, realizing that he really was at fault for rika turning into a cursed spirit. but it was then that she reassured him that she didn't blame him at all. if anything, she was happy she got the chance to be with him longer than she should've.

the goodbye she'd gotten was beautiful if one had to say. to witness such an event in a day filled with death and violence should've been rare. and it was, it was the only thing going good for okkotsu besides most of his friends making it out alright.

"hey..." he searched around for a certain brunette, "where'd amaya go? i noticed she isn't here too."

that simple question caught everyone's attention.