OND

Chapter Three

T/W:

POV: Grian 

"Well, I assume there is a story behind the name?" "Yes, there is!" Xisuma answers. "All of us are outcasts, underdogs, and weird. And, as those type of people tend to be, we get bullied a lot. So  I, well, it used to be ........, but they went to a different school than the rest of us, so now I'm the leader! Well, the point is that we are a not-so-small-anymore friend group that is completely made out of awkward, weird, and generally not-normal people! We call ourselves the hermits because we are hermits in society. And we would like to welcome you to join us!"

"Well, this is a surprise." I say. "So, will you join?" A very anxious Mumbo asks. I think for a minute, trying to think of any possible consequences. I don't want to hurt them if they come after me, but just as I'm about to say no, I see the hopeful expression on all of the hermit's faces. I always did have a soft heart. "I'll join." I say, to the cheers and hoots of the other hermits.   

###

After lunch, I head to my next class, OND(offense n' defense)/PvP. This should be interesting. 

I walk in to the training room, and see some of the hermits there too. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm glad of their presence. 

I line up with the rest of the students, and a few minutes later a man and woman walk into the room. The man is average hight, with long-ish black-brown hair, and a clean shaven face. His eyes are hard, but have a kind glint, and he has a scar across one eye. It's a wonder he doesn't need an eyepatch. He is fit, with is to be expected, and has a fair bit of muscle on him. 

The women is tall, and she walks like she is in charge. Her hair is orange, but not as orange as Cleo's, who is another hermit. More red. The women has pale skin and a face full of freckles, and aforementioned hair is long and tied back neatly. Her shoes are similar to mine, leather, hard to puncture, but with soft and flexible soles, strong laces, fairly water proof, and built in running braces. I got mine from the Ws, and as much as I hate them, I gotta love their shoes. Very practical. But I'm getting sidetracked.

The man, who's name is Arthur, gets the other students in line, to practice, while the woman, namely Ellen, walks over to me.  

"How good a fighter are you?" She asked. I think for a moment, trying to decide if lying would be beneficial. I decide to lie, so as to not draw attention to myself. "I'm not very good." I respond. "Well then, Grian, I want you to duel me, so I can gage your abilitys. Go get yourself a sword from the weapons room, please." I comply, grabbing a sword that is the right weight and length for me out of habit. 

I return to face Ellen, and she starts the countdown. "3...2...1...Duel!" And we start circling each other. 

I only have one question: how do you pretend to be bad at PvP?

###and POV change: Mumbo

I'm sitting on the bleachers because I have a doctor's note saying that I can't participate in OND, as I always injure myself.

I watch Grian talk with Ellen for a minute, run to the weapons room, and return with a sword.  Ellen gives the countdown, and then the two start circling. 

Last time I saw Grian, which was around ten years ago, he wasn't very good at PvP, and I find myself wondering If he's improved. 

This question is quickly answered, however, when Grian looses to Ellen in the first two minutes of their duel. Better than me, but not by much. 

Ellen heads of to get another weapon for Grian, and I take the time to study him. His hair is the same dirty blond, however he now wears it short instead of long. He wears the same red hoodie/sweatshirt/sweater(depending on what you want to imagine, really) with the same grey jeans. He still looks like he is multiple years younger than his 16, he's so short, and he appears to have a-No- multiple scars on his face, which are new. He definitely didn't have that when he was six. He is also a lot thinner than, well, is healthy. 

Ellen returns with an axe, and the two start again. I zone out, thinking about at lunch when that bully had held the knife like that. Sure, that would unnerve anyone, but the way Grian acted, it was like he had had a bad experience, one involving knives. 

It was then that i start wondering, Grian, what have you gotten yourself into?

794 words. 

Written 6/11/2022(American date)