I

The crowd was still as the man stood on the pedestal announcing two new sales; a delicate girl - younger than she - and a vocal boy, who didn't please the buyers. The girl watching, Avalon, stood by with the other slaves - begging and hoping that the new sales would go to someone decent. She watched as the girl got sold to a man, whom she knew as Laird, for 150. He wasn't cruel as others might be, neither was he gentle. But compared to the other buyers, who bid on the girl, he was the best option. The 'sold'-sign was hung around the young girl's neck, and she was tossed aside. 

Then it came to the boy, whom they introduced as a fine specimen. The buyers looked at each other and snickered - who would want him? The square was enveloped in silence and only silence. The slave trader tried to sell him off as strong, which the buyers took as a joke. The boy was insulted and starting blabbing his mouth off. Avalon wished for him to keep quiet - to do himself a favour. Then suddenly a hooded man stepped forward. "I'll take him off your hands," he said and she didn't recognize his voice. "I'll take them all of your hands!" 

The man dropped his hood, and on his shoulder, a slightly-larger-than-usual mouse was placed. Avalon soon realized that it was the mouse who was speaking, as it drew a tiny sword from the sheath attached around its stomach. More hooded people appeared, dropped their hoods and drew their swords - all ready to fight. "For Narnia," the mouse shrieked, and the hooded people drew forward toward the buyers. Narnia... It was a long time since she had been in contact with anything Narnian. The city of Narrowhaven didn't exactly stand by the rules of the King. King Caspian IX. Her father. 

Avalon watched as the battle unfolded before her eyes. Swords clashing against swords. The heavy sound of metal hitting metal rang in her ears. Then she realized, that the girl and boy must still have been in chains, and in no way to defend themselves. She quickly drew closer to them, wanting to break them free and for them to run. But before she reached them, the large mouse had already gotten them out of their shackles. Avalon smiled content, as the girl started fighting the slave traders with might. 

Some of the slaves, still in chains, scurried away from the scene of the fight, while others stayed to fight for themselves. Avalon jumped on the pedestal and reached for a sword, just as the man who ran the slave trading, launched at her. She drew the sword in front of her, to defend herself, just as his own came towards her. They clashed together - metal on metal. Rage was in his eyes. He drew back and once again launched at her, but to no avail. Before she could go any further with the fight, a chain came around his throat from behind, dragging him backwards. 

As Avalon looked up, to catch a glimpse of whoever helped her, she saw a boy. He was roughly her age and very handsome. Their eyes met briefly and she silently thanked him, as she hurried away. That was when she saw him. At first, she wouldn't believe it. He couldn't be here. But there he was - clear as day - launching forward into battle. Her older brother. Caspian. 

She wanted to rush towards him, but she knew better than to launch herself into the middle of the battle, as she hadn't trained sword fighting for many years. So she drew herself into the shadows, looming until the battle died down. 

That was when she saw the lanky, outspoken boy stalk away from the square. With one final glance at her brother, Avalon traced behind the boy - knowing he wasn't safe alone. She followed him to the docks, where rowing-boats were aligned in the water. She almost laughed, as she watched him sit in one of the boats, hoping it would sail away on its own. Almost. Not even a moment later, she saw the slave trader whom she had fought, stalking towards the defenceless boy with a dagger. She had to do something. She got close enough for her to attack the man with the sword, that was still in her grasp. But before she could do anything, the boy had accidentally knocked the man in the head with the paddle from the boat. This caused the man to fall in the water.

The boy turned around, shocked by the noise he had caused. That's when he saw Avalon and the unconscious man in the water. "Oh, God. I hope that wasn't the British consul." He screeched. Avalon gave him a cool look. "Don't worry. He deserved what was coming to him." She quickly picked up the dagger, that the man dropped on the ground, and tucked it in her belt. 

"Who are you?" The boy asked as she stalked away from the docks. "My name is Avalon." She responded nonchalantly. She sat down by a nearby wall and waited for her brother, while she could keep an eye out for the boy, who had gotten out of the boat. He kept his distance from her and she sensed, that he didn't trust her. 

Not long after, Caspian and his companions arrived at the docks, surrounded by a large crowd, that was saluting him for his actions. He didn't see her, but Avalon kept her gaze on him the entire time. She was nervous. What if he didn't recognize her? Even though she had recognized him in an instant, she wasn't so sure that he would recognize her. After all, it had been many years since she had been abducted. And she was just a little girl then. 

Avalon watched as an older man conversed with her brother and the boy who had helped her earlier. The older man drew a sword, that he handed over to her brother. The crowd cheered as Caspian accepted it. And again, as he gave it to the younger boy at his side. Avalon sensed that they would leave the island in just a few moments, so she had to act quickly. Otherwise, she would probably never see him again. The distance between them was far enough, that she had to run. 

But she didn't care if her feet were killing her from running barefoot on the rocky ground. She didn't care if her lungs were seconds from collapsing. All she cared about was her older brother standing right there, ready to leave her behind.

Avalon called out with as much might as she could but to no avail. Her heavy breathing and low lung capacity were preventing her from doing anything else than whispering. This only got her to running faster. As she drew closer, she was stopped by a minotaur. "Stop right there, girl." It was as the boy sensed her presence, as he turned around and saw the frantic girl. He alarmingly gripped Caspians arm, whispering something in his ear. 

Caspian turned around, eyes scanning the crowd before they landed on her. Avalons breath got caught in her throat, as they made eye contact for the first time in years. She wasn't sure of his reaction. She wasn't sure he was recognizing her. He drew closer to her, his eyes blurry and very dubious. But then she saw the recognition. 

"Ava... Is that you?" His voice was choked and hoarse. Tears started streaming down her cheeks, as she was unable to say anything. She could see the doubt on his face, and when she nodded, he threw himself at her. He picked her up in an enormous hug and swung her around. The happiness between the two was everlasting. "Welcome home," He whispered softly in her ear.